Can’t Remember Your Password?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

That's a very interesting approach. I love the idea of using "implicit memory" (or "muscle memory" or whatever you want to call it) to remember a password. I think that we already do this to some extent when we type a familar password onto a keyboard, or enter a well-remembered number on a telephone keypad, or unlock a handheld device screen using the Android "pattern lock" feature, or use a keypin-entry door lock, etc., but it sounds as though Bojinov is exploring the concept at much greater depth than usual.

I have often mused about the difficulties we experience when we try to consciously express these types of memories, let alone try to teach them to another person. Imagine that you are traveling in a straight line on a bicycle or motorcycle and you want to make a left turn. What steps would you take to do this? Most people would say (without really thinking about it) "Just turn the handlebars to the left!", but that's completely wrong and will crash you in an instant (unless you're on a trike, that is). However, once placed on a bicycle or motorcycle these same people will be able to execute the left turn with no problem. The knowledge is in there, but we often don't know how to bring it to the forefront and express it properly unless we're actually "doing" the action. What an interesting way to store a password!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.