Can't "Remember action (create rule)" on limited account

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by BuckoA51, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckoA51

BuckoA51 Registered Member

Running ESET Smart Security 4 on Windows 7 on a regular (non administrator) account, in "interactive mode".

Firewall pops up an "outbound traffic" alert, but the tick box that gives you the option of creating a rule is greyed out. Why can't I hit a button and use UAC to temporarily elevate my privileges and create the rule?

Maybe ESET don't want us weaned off administrator accounts in case it renders antivirus software redundant :)

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You could never permanently make rules on limited accounts, that wouldn't even make sense. You can make rules on admin accounts, and if UAC is needed it will pop up. Although it's never been needed in the past.

3. BuckoA51

In what way does it not make sense?! The whole point of UAC was so that admin privileges could be temporarily granted so that we can finally break this cycle of having to run as administrator all the time! If badly designed software continues to force us to run as admin the whole thing will have been a waste of time.

The way things are now, each time an application wants internet access I have to switch out of my regular account, log in as admin, create the rule, log out as admin and switch back to my regular account. This is stupid, why can't there just be a UAC box pop up if you try and remember the rule on your regular user account?

This should have worked right in V3, ESET should get it right for V4 else I'll seriously have to consider switching.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Try to use this new option in v4:

admin_rights.png

Additionally , if the above doesn't work , as a temporary solution I would advise you try to run ESET GUI (%Program files%\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe) always as administrator

endsjk.png

I haven't tried it yet but it should work

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I expect this is more of a Windows 7 issue. I have never seen this problem on Vista. I run my laptop as a limited user (Vista) and it works fine there.

6. BuckoA51

HiTech_boy - Workaround 1 (the option within ESET) did nothing, Workaround 2 works after a fashion, but when you do this, Windows blocks ESS from loading at startup, not an ideal situation. Hopefully this can be fixed in the next update.

xxJackxx - You're saying its possible to use UAC to set a permanent rule in interactive mode on a limited account in Windows Vista? I tried V3 on Windows 7 and had the same problem, no way to create rule. I'll have to try it under Vista when I get chance.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Ooops, Sorry , I forgot that . It's a nature of Vista/7/UAC

8. BuckoA51

I just tried this with V3 under Vista, it does NOT work, in fact, V3 has no support for UAC at all, appalling. Glad I did not upgrade to Vista now. I hope this gets fixed properly in V4

9. xxJackxx

To make sure we are talking about the same thing, it sounds like the issue is running with the firewall in interactive mode, on Vista, with UAC enabled, and saving rules for the firewall? If so I have no issues with this. It works fine for me. If I am missing something let me know. v3 and v4 work ok, I have not installed it on Windows 7 yet, though I have entertained the idea.

10. BuckoA51

Yes we are talking about the same thing. How on earth do you get it to work??! I just get a greyed out box for remember rule, no option to elevate privileges through UAC at all. Are you sure you are running a limited account?

11. xxJackxx

How many user accounts do you have, and did you install it in the account you are using?

12. BuckoA51

Two, one admin one not. I am fairly sure I installed it under my admin account.

13. xxJackxx

I would try to install it on the account you use and see what that does. If not I am out of suggestions.

Actually I take that back. 1 more thought. Have you tweaked UAC in any way? Maybe disabled file and registry virtualization?

14. BuckoA51

No UAC tweaking done, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.