Can't recovery hard drive from CD's.. Please help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by c cubed inc, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c cubed inc

c cubed inc Registered Member

I imaged my entire HD one month ago knowing I was going to re-format the drive soon. Knowing that formating erases all data, I decided to image to cd's, (18 of them).

Now I can't figure out how to recover the image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Jody Compton

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you make a TrueImage Recovery CD? If so, boot from that CD, coose Restore and then insert the LAST CD from your set of 18 to start the restore.

If you don't have the Recovery CD, you will need to install TrueImage on another computer and make the Recovery CD. The Recovery CD is hardware independent, so it won't matter what PC you create it on.

3. c cubed inc

c cubed inc Registered Member

Hey John, thanks for taking your time to reply.

I did make the Bootable CD and run the recovery from it, but it keeps telling me to install cd #1, then #18, #1, #18, #2, #9, etc. It's as if its not reading them.

I did this for about 4 hours one night, then I quit. I'll never know if it was working or not, chances are it wasn't.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks again

Jody

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jody,

For completeness, can you advise whether you created a Disk/Partition image or a Files & Folders image? Either way, there will be a heck of a lot of disk changes involved when validating or restoring a large image from CDs.

I assume you had the default option set to Validate the image prior to actually restoring it otherwise, by now, you would have deleted the existing partition(s) on the destination hard drive. I would recommend that you copying all the image volumes (i.e. *.tib files) from the CDs into a single folder on your hard drive, boot from the Acronis rescue CD and then validate the image independently via the Backup Archive Validation Wizard. That will check the image integrity whilst also being a whole lot quicker. If it passes the validation check then there is every chance that you should be able to restore from the CDs (provided you can put up with the mind numbing number of disk changes :p).

Regards

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

You've discovered the second reason for not backing up to optical media when the backup is going to take up more than one disk.
    I don't know if this will work, but you might try copying all the images from the CDs on to a hard drive and see if TI will process the recovery from there.

6. aoz

aoz Registered Member

this actually should work, if the file on the CD's are accurate.
    nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.