Can't reboot after increasing my partition space

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by memochabane, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memochabane

memochabane Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a dell inspiron laptop 1521 with a vista os. I had an unlocated space which I wanted to add to my c drive using the paragon partition manager 9 professional, after all was done it said i had to restart my pc for the changes to take place. but now it doen't reboot. a blue screen of paragon boot manager comes on with a message "the pc booting will be proceeded in 15 seconds" but it goes to zero then star counting again. I made a paragon recovery cd from a friend pc but doesn't work either. any idea guys?

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

If you have the Vista installation Dvd then boot through it and correct the mbr. This option must also be present in paragon partition manager itself (see its help file).

Most likely your mbr is either erased or has become corrupt.

3. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Was the "unallocated space" reported by PM, Disk Manager, or both? Often Dell machines, as other OEM machines, have small, hidden, partitions that contain boot files for their recovery media. If you blasted over that, that would explain it.

Now, this is recoverable via fixing the MBR, if that is indeed the case. Also, not that this is important to you, you probably can't "recover" the amchine with Dell Utilities, as you may have killed the hidden partition that it uses.

All a guess, but this is what it sounds like to me.

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hi Memochabane,

If you have the paragon recovery CD, put in the CD, hit F12 during the POST, and choose boot option: CD/DVD.

Paragon Recovery CD will come up with the options to boot Normal Mode, Safe Mode, Low Graphics Mode, etc. Pick the last option "Find OSes" and then "Windows XP/2000"

Windows should load normally at this point. Once you get into your Windows. Open Partition Manager 9 and you need to update the MBR. This will take the job out of queue.

It surprises me that you need to restart when trying to extend a partition into "unallocated" space. Try again, and if you get the Windows with options to "restart" or "retry", click the bottom left hyper-link to see what's preventing the operation from completing in Windows.

If the program fails to do this operation in Windows, I would suggest running from the CD, normal mode and extend the partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.