Can't properly install RVS

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Uli9000, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

I have been using a beta version of RVS 2010 with only a few problems and decided to upgrade to RVS 2010 Home Free 3.0.6180.4924. However, after installation completes and the 'Quick Scan Wizard' comes up it stalls at the 'downloading updates' stage. I terminate the Wizard but then I get 50% of my CPU being constantly used by rvsmon.exe so my system starts to run really slow. Also, I have tried installing a number of times and this version of RVS seems to seriously disrupt my internet connection.

Could anyone help? I really enjoy using RVS so any help would be welcome.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Uli9000,
    please send a detailed report to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with the following information:

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3inst.log
    * MSINFO32 or MSINFO64 report**

**Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32 or MSINFO64 as appropriate. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Now uninstall RVS completely. After the uninstall, reinstall a new copy and let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks
    Mike

3. Uli9000

Thanks Coldmoon

I've done that. Waiting for full reply. The thought did occur to me though that I am running AVG antivirus on the same system. Should I uninstall AVG before installing RVS?

4. Uli9000

Hi

Right, I uninstalled AVG and now RVS installs and works fine. A real rookie mistake. Anyhow, embarassment aside this is great news. Thanks for all your help Coldmoon anyway. Keep up the good work.

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    RVS and AVG should work together so will request additional compatibility testing with it. The current recommendation is to simply deactivate the AV, install RVS, and then restart the AV (same for uninstalling RVS). Sometimes, other security solutions can interfere with these processes but after the install, they should live well together.

Mike

6. Uli9000

Right

So, it turns out uninstalling AVG only half fixed the problem. I still had rvsmon.exe file using up half my CPU capacity, even when RVS was the only security program installed. This and my thinking i really needed some extra AV protection led me to install Avast Home. Although I did find out how much AVG was slowing down my computer it was back to square 1 with RVS even when disabling Avast during installation of RVS.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be happening?

Uli

7. 7ekno

7ekno Registered Member

Hi ya :)

Same thing happens here with 2010, RVSMON.EXE chews up 100% of CPU cycles on a single CPU PC with WinXP, it chews up 50% of CPU cycles on a dual CPU with Server2008, and it chews up 50% of CPU cycles on a dual CPU with Vista x64 installed ...

This is even with "Antivirus" disabled, so I have no idea what RVSMON.EXE is doing, and I did leave the WinXP PC on overnight, and it was still 100% CPU in the morning (roughly 7 hours later with "Antivirus" turned off) ...

Real pitty, 2010 was lookng good for a bit there !!!

7ek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.