Can't play the sound file?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Large amount of help needed here please, I can't play some sound files, I get error message:-

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there may not be a sound device installed (Which there is). It may be in use by another programme (Which it isn't) or it may not be functioning properly."

In 'details' I have a OxCOOD11BA cannot play the file message.

Everything else in my WMP works just fine, the files I would like to play are music from one of Jooske's threads.

All and any assistance will be gratefully received.

TIA, Cochise, :cool:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had a problem like that in wmp 8 and I had to reinstall to fix the problem. ButI hope that is not your problem.

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

is your sound card configured to be your default playback device? check through control panel if you have replaced one card with your current one sometimes the old one still lists as default device

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

You could always try taking that error message to -- GASP! -- the Evil Empire and see if they have anything.

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

What extension does the file you are trying to play have, Cochise?
    You can check to see if that extention is registered with Windows Media Player (that's if you haven't already done that )

Go to Start -> ControlPanel ->Folder Options ->File Type tab.
    Look for the extension of the file you are trying to play and see if it is associated with Windows Media.

(I don't use WMP very much, so I'm kinda grasping for a solution for you). :doubt:

6. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi Cochise and you all

I was once up to players and I was taught do not install real player in any age ;) BUT look at this :
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=21870;start=msg132468#msg132468

It´s Real alternative plays all formats ;)
    I hope this helped too eventhough I can´t say what is wrong with your sound device if the drivers are installed properly? :(

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) If you still have "cold feet" about RealPlayer, with or without spywares, you could try playing that sound file through IrfanViewer instead of WMP? Irfan is not just for pictures. Could be a useful alternative? ;)

IrfanView Homepage

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I've tried everything all you good people have suggested, I guess I'll just have to give Jooske's tunes a miss.....never mind......everything else works AOK. I'll maybe try uninstalling the music and reinstall just on the off-chance I did something silly. :D

Thank you all very much for taking the time to help. :-*

Cochise, :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.