Can't ping or RDP an XP machine from Win7

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BlueWaves, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueWaves

BlueWaves Registered Member

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this issue that I'm having trying to get my Windows 7 Ultimate and XP Pro machines to talk to each other. I am suspecting that it might have something to do with ESS settings but I'm not sure what.

Currently, from XP to Win7, I can:
    1. Start --> Run --> \\win7machine, and it comes up.
    2. Ping the Win7 machine
    But I cannot:
    1. Remote Desktop Connection into the Win7 machine. I have RDP 7 on the XP box and all settings seem to be correct.

From the Win7 box to XP, I can:
    1. Do an NBTSTAT -r, and my XP box shows up in the list.
    But I cannot:
    1. Ping the XP box. Comes back with "ping request could not find host..."
    2. Start --> Run --> \\xpmachine. It doesn't find it.
    3. Remote Desktop into the XP box. Can't find it.

RDP traffic is set to be allowed in ESS. Turning ESS's firewall off doesn't help. I have tried for hours now to get this to work, and finally am waving the white flag. Need some help!

Thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is ESS installed on both computers? Do you have the latest version of ESS 4.2.58 installed? Is the other computer in Trusted zone? What message is logged in the firewall log if you enable logging of blocked communication in the IDS setup and reproduce the problem?

3. BlueWaves

Hi,
    ESS is only installed on the Win7 computer. Sorry, forgot to mention that. Windows Firewall is on the XP machine, although it has exceptions set up for ICMP echos and remote desktop connection.
    And yeah, the IP address of the XP machine falls within the trusted zone in ESS.
    The log file only shows a bunch of "no usable rule found" entries from my source Win7 machine to some unknown IP address that starts with 224.0.0.x. I have no idea what that means. My ESS firewall is set up in interactive mode.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  4. BlueWaves

Never mind; I gave up on RDP and simply went with LogMeIn.com. It's free and I can get to my XP PC with no fuss -- from ANY PC. Wish I had tried this first rather than wasting hours upon hours trying to get *#^@ Remote Desktop to work.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've just realized I overlooked an important thing:
    I'd suggest disabling the Windows firewall on XP completely, then try pinging the XP client again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.