Can't open an one file Backup!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Carlospr, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlospr

Carlospr Registered Member

Hi,

I've purchased the upgraded to version 9 (build 2,245).

I'm making an one file backup (system hive from WINDOWS\system32\config\).

The backup is finished and a successful message appears.

But I just can't open it then.

If I click the .tib file True Image starts but nothing happens since the "Next" button does not work at all.

The "Next" button is working for images I did with version 8.

In resume I'm not able to use the backup files/folders feature!

2. knowbodynow

knowbodynow Registered Member

I noticed that clicking on a tib file doesn't work for full partitions either - an extra tab on the Taskbar appears saying something like "processing please wait". It won't go any further. However, if True Image is opened up first then it is possible to restore a backup of a tib containing files and folders (I did this) and I presume for a full partition (haven't tried this).

Hope this helps,

CaH

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Carlospr and knowbodynow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please take a look at chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide which states that "...you will never be able to plug in an archive, containing file/folders backup..."

We are really sorry for your inconvenience, caused by such a behaviour of Acronis True Image 9.0. The corresponding message pointing that the file backup can not be explored will be added in the future builds of a particular product.

As for the problem that appears when you are trying to explore the disk\partition backup, please make a screen shot of that "processing please wait" message and send it to support@acronis.com along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Carlospr

Carlospr Registered Member

So, for now I can backup files/folders but I can't restore them?

In addition, it will be great to add the ability to just copy a file to a new destination since True Image can copy system protected files. Could be a nice feature (e.g. copy a registry hive).

Thanks.

5. knowbodynow

knowbodynow Registered Member

No, you can restore files by first running True Image and navigating inside True Image to the tib to be restored. I tested this with a txt file. What you can't do is click on a tib file in Windows Explorer and restore it directly.

CaH

6. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I just downloaded the TI 9 user's guide and no where could I find any such quote: "...you will never be able to plug in an archive, containing file/folders backup...".
    Is there a more recent version of the user guide which is not yet available on the website?

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi tachyon42,

As is (still :() the case with TI 8.0, you'll probably find that the User's Guide included in the Full version of the TI installation file is different to the document that's downloadable separately.

Regards

8. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,
    Thanks for the info.
    Is there some rational explanation for that? I mean for the discrepancy between the user guides.

I suppose there must be some deficiency in the technical design of the file/folder backup feature which prevents it from being explored like an image archive. I wonder why the file/folder backup couldn't have a similar structure to an image archive file so that it could be explored. Perhaps we'll have to wait for TI10.

9. Menorcaman

None that I can think of!! I flagged up the issue regarding the TI 8 Guide to Acronis Support some time ago and they had forwarded the info to the responsible person/department. Clearly, that person/department never got around to doing anything about it :(.

Regards

10. heatpipe

heatpipe Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. I believe TI 9.0 has problems if you password the backup set. Try removing the password, backing up, then restoring. I'm surprised others havent' mentioned this.

11. backman

backman Registered Member

I have looked at both the included and the separately downloadable. No difference. No mention of the quote that I could find. o_O

12. JVD

JVD Guest

I had the same problem, it seem when you are doing a file/folders backup, if you use a password it won't work, you can't even restore it. When I didn't use a password I could restore the backup, but this issue is still a problem for me, since I would like to password protect the folders I'm backing up.

13. Menorcaman

Hi backman,

Well that rules that possibility out then. Thanks for the confirmation.

I wonder where Alexey obtained his quote from then o_O.

Regards

14. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm really sorry for misleading all of you. The point is that I had the older version of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide when I was composing my previous post.

As for exploring the file backup, I can say that in spite of the fact that it is not documented in the new version of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide there is no way to use the Plug Image tool to explore the file backup.

Moreover, there is no need to explore file backup using Plug Image tool, since you can restore individual files and folders using Recovery wizard.

What concerns the problem with restoring the password protected file backup. This problem is already known and will be fixed in one of the next builds of Acronis True Image 9.0. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

However, if you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  15. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to inform you that the problem with restoring the password protected file backup has already been investigated and fixed as well as many other problems reported in other threads.

I advice everyone who encounter this or any other already reported problem while using Acronis True Image 9.0 to send a letter containing a request for the link to downolad build 2270 of Acronis True Image 9.0 which has most of the known problems fixed to support@acronis.com along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread.

Please note that build 2270 has not been officialy released yet. However, it is already available for download.

I would also recommend everyone to register your software at our web-site using the same e-mail address that you use to contact us via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

16. heatpipe

heatpipe Registered Member

With Build 2259 the password problem on File/Folder-based archives is fixed. Thankfully it worked on backups I made prior to build 2259.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.