Can't move partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by RKelly5327, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKelly5327

RKelly5327 Registered Member

Hi folks, I've attached a file of the disk map I'm working on, seeking help in how to move this one partition. First, it's a dual boot system, Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro, 500 GB drive. XP was the original, then added 7. 7 is default boot now via boot edit.
    I originally divided the drive up into 2 partitions, but am running out of room on C. I had lots of room on F so I resized F which gave me the G drive. I want to add G to C but cannot move it or add it to C because it's still part of the F drive. At first it was on the right end of F, so I moved it to the left end, but that does not help. I cannot move it or add it to C, and I cannot move C, of course, to add it to G. If I can move it and add it to C, then I will have about 25 G's of space added to C which is what I need.
    How do I do thiso_O
    I hope this is posted in the right place! I tried to find similar posts dealing with this, but couldn't. If I missed the post where it should go, I apologize.
    And my thanks, you bet, to any and all gurus who can help me with this!
    Ron K

Attached Files:

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Hi
    1. Delete G volume.
    2. Shrink extended partition to F volume size.
    3. Extend C volume
    Maybe require reboot or say "i can't". Better proceed all from WinPE bootable media.

Attached Files:

• pp1.png
      pp1.png
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    • pp2.png
      pp2.png
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
    • pp3.png
      pp3.png
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. RKelly5327

Mr. Fireworker, I hope that doesn't mean you are gonna fire me. I want to be sure I understand before I go ahead. Since I can't do anything with G after I delete that volume, I guess you mean I should resize F to incorporate G. Then after that's done, shrink F the size I had G, doing so at the left end. Then after that's done, resize C into the space F left. Is that right?
    Thanks again.
    Ron

4. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Mr. RKelly5327, pardon me my English.
    No need resize F and G, only C need. Extended partition (light green) has no letter.
    See video (after rename extention and un7zip) please.

Attached Files:

5. RKelly5327

I understand now. Thank you!
    Ron

6. RKelly5327

Well, here we go again. I don't know if I'm just plain stupid or if this situation is beyond what PM can do. I understand the movie clip fine, but cannot get my partitions to work the same way. I really hesitate to post all these pics, but want to show what I see on my 'puter. PM1 shows F partition highlighted with a small unallocated FAT partition on the left. PM2 shows the C partition with no option to include the FAT partition to make C bigger. PM 3 shows what happens when I try to shrink F. It makes the FAT partition even bigger and F smaller. It doesn't leave it isolated. PM4 shows what would happen if the changes were applied. The FAT still is not isolated, but is still a part of F. C can't be resized to include the FAT partition at all because it is still a part of F. I don't know how to isolate the FAT partition like the movie clip shows. I have tried every scenario I can think of. I've formatted the FAT partition as NTFS and still get the same result. I deleted it per the instructions and it still remains a part of F. I've left the FAT partition as it is and tried to resize F, but it only makes the FAT partition bigger and still remains a part of F. I've also booted from both the Windows 7 partition and the XP partition and get the exact same results either way. What am I doing wrong? Where am I missing it? I plead for patience and thank you for help at the same time. I notice in the instructions that you refer to F as an extended partition. However in the setup I have F is a logical drive. That's the way it set up when I installed Windows 7 as the 2nd boot option. Would that have anything to do with the fact that I can't isolate the unallocated space so that the C partition can "grab" ito_O
    Ron

Attached Files:

• PM1.jpg
      PM1.jpg
      File size:
      77.4 KB
      Views:
    • PM2.jpg
      PM2.jpg
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
    • PM3.jpg
      PM3.jpg
      File size:
      92.4 KB
      Views:
    • PM4.jpg
      PM4.jpg
      File size:
      86.3 KB
      Views:
  7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

8. RKelly5327

I can't resize the primary partition and make it bigger. I can't get a block of space from the logical partition- F, and move it to the left of C, the primary partition. I only have 4 - 5 Gs of space left on C, but have found no way to move space from F to C. Right now the only thing I can see to do is to make a new partition from F, format it as an extra partition, and move files from C to the new partition to give me space on C.
    I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I try them all.
    Ron

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

No, you can't get it from the logical drive.

You have to shrink the extended partition. The extended partition surrounds the logical drive - it is the container for it.

You need to click on the edge of the extended partition ( not the edge of the logical drive).

You will see it go gold to indicate you have selected it. You can resize that.

extendedpartition.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.