Can't make my account private

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by mrfargoreed, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Did a fresh XP install (made my own nLited version, as I always do) and everything seemed fine until I password protected my user account and tried to make it private. As soon as I clicked 'make private' my machine rebooted. My account is password protected, but My Documents can still be seen from other users on the machine. Tried again and as soon as I clicked, the screen wnet black and rebooted.

Is there anything that could cause this? A privacy setting in Windows perhaps? Could I have accidentally changed a setting to make this happen? It's never happened before and as far as I am aware I nLited my installation the same as I always do.

Any help here would be great as obviously security is a major concern.

Many thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

does the same thing happen when u try in safe mode?

3. mrfargoreed

Hey WSFuser!

When I try this in Safe Mode, the machine just freezes and I have to reboot. I rarely have trouble with my PC but I did recently interrupt a disc wipe (although I restarted it again from scratch) - could this have caused any problems? I'm also having problems using FDISR (posted in the forum here), which I,ve never had before either. Or could it be that my hard drive is on it's way out?

4. WSFuser

edit: right-click the folder u want to make private, click Properties, go to Share, and check the box for "Make this folder private"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. mrfargoreed

Yep - that works fine WSFuser. No reboots. Thanks.

Oh, and can I only make folders private that are on my C drive? The option to do this on other folders on a separate hard disk (NTFS) is grayed out. Is this right?

Many thanks.

6. WSFuser

mine's grayed out too.

7. mrfargoreed

Ok - it's obviously the way it's supposed to be. Thanks WSFuser :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.