Cant make Kaspersky or drweb work on yumi

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by techdunce, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techdunce

techdunce Registered Member

Hello, and not quite sure if Im posting this in the right place but here goes.
    Just built a bootable usb with yumi 2.0.0.5 but cant get above mentioned to work.
    Also having the same trouble with ophcrack, this gives a white (static) screen and not sure how to fix this.
    Kaspersky rescue seems to default into text/command mode but this is no good to me, cant use it.
    Am I wrong in thinking these packages should work out of the box or should I jump through some hoops first, and if so, what hoops?
    Despite the name I am fairly competent in windows, not linux, and am pretty sure Im using yumi correctly.
    Any help or pointers appreciated. Techdunce:)

2. techdunce

techdunce Registered Member

Dont all rush at once.....

3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Ophcrack I don't know about, but the last release was 2012, so I'd guess it's a hardware support issue.

Most AV live distros are terrible - bad hardware support, ancient and badly configured kernels, missing X11 drivers, etc. I have no idea why; making a decent live CD is trivial. You'd think someone would just make a Debian live CD and slap an antivirus GUI on it, but no such luck yet.

Sadly the situation with Windows live CDs is not much better. I have had precisely zero successes with anything other than BartPE, which we all know is XP only.

I also would not recommend using a normal live distro and ClamAV, as Clam gets huge numbers of false positives on almost everything.

Wish I could be of more help here, but right now everything on the live AV scanner scene is pretty bad, IMO.

Edit: if you need to, you could try the following kernel options (in the bootloader screen):

noapic nomodeset nohz=off highres=off irqpoll

This should work around various kinds of hardware bugginess, at a small cost in performance, and without disabling really important stuff like ACPI or multiprocessing.

4. guest

guest Guest

if you have an UEFI machine , YUMI is not compatible, sad but true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.