Cant make Kaspersky or drweb work on yumi

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by techdunce, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techdunce

techdunce Registered Member

Hello, and not quite sure if Im posting this in the right place but here goes.
    Just built a bootable usb with yumi 2.0.0.5 but cant get above mentioned to work.
    Also having the same trouble with ophcrack, this gives a white (static) screen and not sure how to fix this.
    Kaspersky rescue seems to default into text/command mode but this is no good to me, cant use it.
    Am I wrong in thinking these packages should work out of the box or should I jump through some hoops first, and if so, what hoops?
    Despite the name I am fairly competent in windows, not linux, and am pretty sure Im using yumi correctly.
    Any help or pointers appreciated. Techdunce:)

2. techdunce

techdunce Registered Member

Dont all rush at once.....

3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Ophcrack I don't know about, but the last release was 2012, so I'd guess it's a hardware support issue.

Most AV live distros are terrible - bad hardware support, ancient and badly configured kernels, missing X11 drivers, etc. I have no idea why; making a decent live CD is trivial. You'd think someone would just make a Debian live CD and slap an antivirus GUI on it, but no such luck yet.

Sadly the situation with Windows live CDs is not much better. I have had precisely zero successes with anything other than BartPE, which we all know is XP only.

I also would not recommend using a normal live distro and ClamAV, as Clam gets huge numbers of false positives on almost everything.

Wish I could be of more help here, but right now everything on the live AV scanner scene is pretty bad, IMO.

Edit: if you need to, you could try the following kernel options (in the bootloader screen):

noapic nomodeset nohz=off highres=off irqpoll

This should work around various kinds of hardware bugginess, at a small cost in performance, and without disabling really important stuff like ACPI or multiprocessing.

4. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

if you have an UEFI machine , YUMI is not compatible, sad but true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.