cant log into hotmail!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cottontips, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cottontips

Cottontips Registered Member

I've just installed NOD32 on my laptop and for some reason it doesnt let me open my hotmail. When I enter my password and click login, the page doesn't load for a few minutes and turns out to be an error.
    Help please!

thanks

edit: after the computer scan, nod found 500+ viruses etc...could it be that my emails had spyware etc which lead to the site being blocked?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. Cottontips

3. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I used 4.0.417 with hotmail every day with no issues. Something else might be going on.
    Good luck.

4. Cottontips

thanks but im 99% sure its a problem with nod

when i temporarily disable nod hotmail loads fine..but when its turned back on its an error. btw, ive installed nod on 3 pcs and only this one has a problem

5. pondlife152

pondlife152 Registered Member

I can also log into hotmail, with NOD 4.0.417.0. No problem.
    Running Vista 32bit with SP1.

EDIT: Just seen your comment on the viruses. Not sure if NOD would block the hotmail website.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. xusi

xusi Registered Member

Hi,

With that amount of threats detected, anything could be caused by them, not only the hotmail site block. Anyway, if you keep having problems to connect to hotmail site, access to Advanced setup (F5) > Antivirus and antispyware > Internet traffic protection and disable this protection to see if it makes any difference. If it works disabling this module, looks like something is wrong with your current version. Try to update to the latest one (4.0.417) and, if this is the versión you're using, re-install it.

Regards.

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Which operating system and web browser are you using to access Hotmail?

Are you having trouble accessing any other web sites?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. Cottontips

I'im using XP service pack 3 and internet explorer

Everything else works fine. Like I said before, I have installed this on 3 PCs and only this one has the problem. Hotmail works fine when I disable nod32

9. Cottontips

Also, the exact error that comes out "the webpage cannot be found" and "HTTP 400 Bad Request"

10. Cottontips

okay I've just re-installed NOD32 and nothing has happened. Still not working...

Somebody pleasee help me!! :'(

11. pondlife152

Have a look in Advanced Setup. Under Web access protection, then under HTTP, HTTPS, click on Address Management. Choose "List of blocked addresses/masks" from the drop=down box. Check that the hotmail website is not in the blocked list.

If not, now look in Active Mode. Assuming you are using Internet Explorer, look for iexplore.exe in the list. If it has a tick against it, untick it. Now NOD v3 used to have the option to put an X against a browser to exclude it from filtering completely. I don't think this option is available under v4, but I'm not sure as I have Vista SP1 and the NOD proxy works differently under my OS.

If this doesn't work, you could try going to Address Management again, and adding the hotmail web address to the "List of addresses excluded from filtering".

My only issue with this is why NOD is blocking access. Given that you've already found loads of viruses, it is possible some sort of malware is still present on your machine, perhaps this is the cause.

Have you tried doing a deep scan with NOD with all the advanced heuristics turned on?

Also, you could try a scan with something else, just to be sure. No antivirus program sees every piece of malware. Perhaps something has embeded itself into Internet Explorer? I tend to use Malwarebytes Anti-malware to do a manual scan to be sure. It sometimes finds pieces of malware that antivirus programs miss. The manual scanner is free so is worth a try if only for piece of mind given what NOD has already found on your system.

12. Cottontips

^ ive just tried everything you suggested and nothing worked :'( :'( :'(
    the settings themselves seemed fine however I did pick up additional malwares through multiple scans with nod32 on deep, and the malwarebytes one

Funny though, it doesnt seem like a problem with nod but im pretty sure it is (when nod is disabled, hotmail is still working)

I guess i have to email customer service...

13. pondlife152

Just one more thing. Have you tried accessing Hotmail using another browser, Firefox for example?

14. agoretsky

Hello,

ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.424.0 was released earlier today. Please update to this newer build and let us know if that solves the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. Cottontips

I've just tried google chrome. Same problem -- Bad request (invalid web). Disable nod and it works fine on chrome.

Nope..problem is still there... :'( :doubt: :mad:

16. Walter81

Walter81 Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem:

we're currently using v2.7, I'm preparing to upgrade to the most current version.
    I've installed 4.0.170.0 on a couple of PCs and with HTTP Checking enabled they can't reach any website.

We go through a proxy (ISA 2005) which also returns the error message. When I connect through a direct internet connection everything works fine. Also when I connect through the proxy with HTTP Checking disabled I don't get the errors either. But the proxy + HTTP Checking doesn't work at all.

All HTTP Checking options are still at default. Disabling IE (or FireFox) from the webbrowser list like suggested above works...but that's the same like disabling HTTP Checking, not an option :doubt:

any suggestions?

edit: the error message (without the blabla) is this: Error Code: 400 Bad Request. The data is invalid. (13)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  17. agoretsky

Hello,

It could be a residual effect left over from the one of the 500+ computer viruses which were on the computer.

I would suggest that you open a ticket with ESET's technical support using the online form at http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php so they can work with you to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

No issues logging into Hotmail here with current build.
    XP Pro SP3, fully patched.

19. Walter81

Walter81 Registered Member

I got a response from Eset support. Our proxy server uses port 8080, they advised me to remove that portnumber from the list of ports in http Checking.

...and that works! I don't really understand why or how but that seems to be the tric.

20. Cottontips

^ awesome i'll try it! (i forgot to email them :p)

21. Sunshine803

Sunshine803 Registered Member

I had a similar problem with Hotmail and DPReview Forums (Photography) about a year ago (version 3)
    In the forum site, after entering my login info the effect was as if I never entered anything, ie I was getting the login screen again with the request to ...login. Exiting NOD32 returned to normal. Starting NOD32, back to same problem.

This was with version 3. I abandoned it and went back to 2.7
    Same thing with version 4 when I tried it recently.

I did write to ESET (then) and after several 'try this and that' they acknowledged (but not categorically) that there might be a problem with NOD to be corrected in future versions. I expected it to be corrected in v4 but no joy. I am still with v2.7 which I like very much by the way.

What I wanted to do was to create a test forum user and publish the login details to see if anybody else had the same problem but I thought it wouldn't be fair on the forum site. I just gave up and use 2.7 as long as it is available. After that I'll have to look into another AV if NOD keeps this up... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.