CANT INSTALL SPYWAREBLASTER 3.1

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by FLATLINE13, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLATLINE13

FLATLINE13 Registered Member

I HAVE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE INSTALL PROGRAM FROM THE WEB SITE. WHEN I GO TO INSTALL IT TELLS ME I CANT INSTALL BECAUSE OF A BAD SECTOR/VIRUS. I RAN A VIRUS SCAN.............NOTHING FOUND. I TRIED TO INSTALL AT ANOTHER LOCATION. NO LUCK. THE OTHER JAVACOOL PROGRAMS LOADED FINE.........SPYWAREGUARD,DOC SCRUBBER....ETC........

ANY IDEA WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG?,

2. taranis

taranis Guest

Bumping this thread, I searched the forums and only found a reference saying that this issue is caused by a spyware infection. (Excuse me if I missed the proper resolution to this issue.) I'm having the same issue and judging by my search results so are allot of other people.

I appreciate your help and I really look forward to using this software.

3. dunuelos

dunuelos Registered Member

This problem is because of a CoolWebSearch trojan.

There was a fix that was put on another thread which worked for me. The fix was by 3BentArrows (By the way - this will only work if you run CWShredder first):

"CWW.Searchx caused me grief for a week. Used HijackThis; CWShreddar; Spybot & AdAware--to no avail. Then I found this:
    1) [In your registry,] rename the HLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Windows folder to <Windows2>.
    2) Now, delete the AppInit_DLLs key under the Windows2 folder.
    3) Hit F5. Notice that AppInit_DLLs doesn't come back. It will if you try this before re-naming the folder.
    4) Rename the <Windows2> folder back to <Windows>

Now SpyWareBlaster will load."

4. benerik

benerik Guest

Thanks Duneulos!!!!

5. mitch

mitch Guest

i have the same problem. i use windows XP.
    i can't seem to find the folders you are refering to (like HLM), also i did a search for the specific file (AppInit_DLLs) and nothing came up.

any tips?
    thanks!

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi mitch,

Looks like a slight typo there. They mean HKLM (aka. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from the top level of regedit). If you aren't comfortable in the registry, then there's another user posted possible solution referenced in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=192734

It's a small cleaner utility downloaded from a German security website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.