CANT INSTALL SPYWAREBLASTER 3.1

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by FLATLINE13, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLATLINE13

FLATLINE13 Registered Member

I HAVE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE INSTALL PROGRAM FROM THE WEB SITE. WHEN I GO TO INSTALL IT TELLS ME I CANT INSTALL BECAUSE OF A BAD SECTOR/VIRUS. I RAN A VIRUS SCAN.............NOTHING FOUND. I TRIED TO INSTALL AT ANOTHER LOCATION. NO LUCK. THE OTHER JAVACOOL PROGRAMS LOADED FINE.........SPYWAREGUARD,DOC SCRUBBER....ETC........

ANY IDEA WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG?,

2. taranis

taranis Guest

Bumping this thread, I searched the forums and only found a reference saying that this issue is caused by a spyware infection. (Excuse me if I missed the proper resolution to this issue.) I'm having the same issue and judging by my search results so are allot of other people.

I appreciate your help and I really look forward to using this software.

3. dunuelos

dunuelos Registered Member

This problem is because of a CoolWebSearch trojan.

There was a fix that was put on another thread which worked for me. The fix was by 3BentArrows (By the way - this will only work if you run CWShredder first):

"CWW.Searchx caused me grief for a week. Used HijackThis; CWShreddar; Spybot & AdAware--to no avail. Then I found this:
    1) [In your registry,] rename the HLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Windows folder to <Windows2>.
    2) Now, delete the AppInit_DLLs key under the Windows2 folder.
    3) Hit F5. Notice that AppInit_DLLs doesn't come back. It will if you try this before re-naming the folder.
    4) Rename the <Windows2> folder back to <Windows>

Now SpyWareBlaster will load."

4. benerik

benerik Guest

Thanks Duneulos!!!!

5. mitch

mitch Guest

i have the same problem. i use windows XP.
    i can't seem to find the folders you are refering to (like HLM), also i did a search for the specific file (AppInit_DLLs) and nothing came up.

any tips?
    thanks!

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi mitch,

Looks like a slight typo there. They mean HKLM (aka. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from the top level of regedit). If you aren't comfortable in the registry, then there's another user posted possible solution referenced in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=192734

It's a small cleaner utility downloaded from a German security website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.