Can't get updates automatically

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by sports45, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sports45

sports45 Registered Member

I have just recently paid for a 1 year Ewido antispyware subscription. I thought the 30 day trial was the only time there would be no automatic updates. I thought this would start once I paid for it. No automatic updates are downloading. I have had the paid subscription about a week now. I have gone to their update site and downloaded all that is available. But--- how come I am not getting them automatically? Also, I have sent 2 e-mails to Ewido tech support about this and they have not answered . Do they answer their e-mails? When I try automatic or manual updated I keep getting same message "Ewido has failed to conncect to its server, updates aborted". I even tried lowing the settings on my fire wall, it didn't make any difference. :mad: o_O
    Thanks for any help with this. Sports 45.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Try to uninstall it, reboot and reinstall with a new installer and make sure the autoupdate is turned on, on one install it was turned off for whatever reason for me.

3. sports45

Thank you for the info. I did uninstalll, reboot and reinstall ewido, latest version as you suggested. The program again states everything is active , but I stilll can't get any updates automatically or even manually. I would still like to know if there is anything else I should try, why their support tech does not answer e-mails to them(if anyone knows) and I use Fire Fox not Internet Explorer as my default browser. Could that make any differerence?:mad:

4. Don Pelotas

When you say manually, do you mean you have downloaded the full signaturedatabase and installed it manually? If not then try it:http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/, maybe it will kickstart the autoupdating.

5. sports45

Thanks again,
    I have downloaded all the updates manually from the site you listed. they have installed. But-- there are still no automatic updates from Ewido desk top web page and can't get any manually from there either. I have been reading through the posts on this forum and have found many complaints about Ewido not delivering updates that it obviously has. What is going on here and why are they charging for subscriptions if they can't get this to work more smoothly for more people. Now, I am assuming I could have gone to the site you provided and downloaded these manually every couple of days without paying for this one year subcription!!! If that is correct, no one should be paying them. I assume Fire Fox is not causing any of thiso_O And... I sent their tech support a 3rd e-mail regarding this and I did get a reponse that they received it and would get back to me in another e-mail to address this problem soon!
    It's a wonder why they couldn't address this problem in that response. Also, even after the total signature base of updates was installed manually from your site, their web site still states I need their updates, none have been installed and that my computer is at risk. Thank you/sports45.

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

My ewido automatically updates itself every day without problem!!!

7. Don Pelotas

Mine too, there is obviouly some kind of problem/conflict.

8. sports45

I may be getting a little closer to figuring this out. I have Zone Labs fire wall. The Ewido compatabillity list states Zone Labs will work with Ewido. Early on I lowerd my fire wall settings just to see if Ewido would then download its updates, it did not. Now I have momentarily turned the fire wall OFF!! Guess whato_O Ewido updates downloaded immediately. Now whato_O Do I have to turn my fire wall off to get their updateso_O Not a good situation!!!! Again even on Zone Labs lowest functioning setting these updates won't come through, only when I turned it OFF one time did theY download. Any ideas with this new info. would be appreciated. And---- as I mentioned before, Ewido tech support hasn't responded with any suggestions yet even though they said they would. It is my understanding that Ewido is owned by AVG. I use their anti-virus program and I get their updates everyday. I have never experienced this with any other program. Thanks/ sports45.:mad: o_O

9. Don Pelotas

If it is ZA blocking you can hardly blame ewido for everything, try to remove ewido from ZA list then, reboot and try to update making sure you don't block anything in ZA.

10. sports45

Problem fixed. I went through every part of my Zone Alarm fire wall. Finally I got to the area that allows or blocks programs. Ewido was blocked. Once I changed the setting to "allow" everything on Ewido worked perfectly and updates came through. This is the 1st time I have ever downloaded a new program and then intalled it correctly and the fire wall then wouldn't allow it to work without a manual correction to allow the new program. Now I will know if something likes this ever happens again with any new program. To all the other posts on this forum who had questions about ewido updates not downloading, go to your fire wall, turn it off momentarily and see if updates come through. If so, you need to next let the fire wall allow this program to operate. I did not see this solution in any of the posts concerning this problem. Hope this is helpful to anyone else who doesn't get updates. Last question. As I have never had this happen before on any new program I downloaded and installed, why did the fire wall decide to block this one rather than allow it as it has every other program I installed? Thank you/sports 45:thumb: :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.