Can't get subtitles working in PotPlayer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Anyone know how to use subtitles in PotPlayer? They supposedly added support for MP3s with lyrics in version 1.5.35146 (Per the changelog: "Added the ability to play MP3 files with lyrics subtitles").

So I downloaded the latest version and tried it out but I can't get subtitles in either audio or video. Windows Media Player shows lyrics quite easily when it's enabled so theoretically PotPlayer should too using the same MP3. The best I've been able to get is an onscreen message that shows the the title of the track, and in parentheses (with subtitles).

I've been playing with the settings for the last couple of hours with no luck. Was hoping someone with experience might have an answer. :)

2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Rename the subtitle to have the same name as the video file and check if the video and subtitle files are in the same folder. See the example below, the correct video and subtitle file name.

• Video title: My Video.avi
    • Subtitle name: My Video.sub

3. allizomeniz

Okay, tried that but nothing.

I created a file with Notepad and entered the lyrics. Then saved it as Sarah Smile.sub. I put it in a folder named Lyrics and pointed PotPlayer to look there for subtitles. I also tried it in the same folder as the MP3 and didn't give PotPlayer and specific direction. Neither one worked.

Searches on the web found some information that says to use the .srt extension for subtitles so I tried that but that didn't work either. I feel like I'm on the right track but there's something I'm missing.

4. allizomeniz

Bingo!

PP has a little thing called Subtitle Explorer. You just enter the lyrics into the mp3 tag, then when the file's playing, if you want to see the lyrics just open SE and there they are. Not quite as easy as Windows Media Player, but still not bad.

Now after all my trouble, I'm starting to think it would be better to just make text files with the lyrics so they can be looked at whether any files are playing or not. Oh well...:D

BTW, appreciate the input PaulBB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.