Can't Get Settings to Work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SenorBumbles, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenorBumbles

SenorBumbles Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image Home 10 (Build 4871) with Windows Vista Business.
    I have followed the guides on this forum to a tee and still no dice. Here's what I want to do. I just want to perform an incremental backup every day for Drive C: to an external USB hard disk. I have created a backup location and set it to limit the number of backups to 14. I have cleared both the size quota and storage period limitations. Then I have created an incremental backup task that backs up daily to the backup location. I specified incremental backups with "Create new full backup after 6 incremental backups". This way, each week I thought I would get a new incremental backup set. After two weeks, the first set would get overwritten (a rolling 2-week backup scenario). The problem is that Acronis just keeps adding new sets after the first two instead of overwriting the first set. That is, I expected after 14 days to see the first set get overwritten. Instead the backup location just keeps getting bigger. The scheduler seems to work fine, I have a large base backup every 7 days followed by 6 incrementals. I have tried doing this a million times. What gives? The only thing I thought it could have been was that the "Maximum number of backups" setting in the Backup Location preferences considered an entire incremental set to be "One Backup". So I tried setting the number of backups to 2. No dice either.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. SenorBumbles

Man posts get buried here quickly. Anyone have any ideas for me?

3. SenorBumbles

4. Luminous

Luminous Registered Member

Yeah, its a common problem. :(

I am using XP Pro SP2, so the error is cross platform. :gack:

Only suggestion I have for you that has worked for some people is to make sure that you are selecting your backup location correctly. When you have made a managed backup location on your USB HDD there are 2 ways you can select that as the target location for the backup. When asked to specify where you want to backup when you are making your scheduled task, you have 2 options

1) Go to my computer, then the usb drive
    2) Go to Backup Locations.

The first way is not correct and is meant to make your rules not function. The second way is the correct method and should make your rules work. Make sure you are using the second method, and post back if its still does not work (like for me).

5. SenorBumbles

I'm using the second method, it just doesn't work like it should.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

7. SenorBumbles

I checked the links and the methods you describe are precisely the ones I'm using. I have tried this more times than I care to comment. I completely understand where I am supposed to specify for a backup location. The program simply does not work as it should. I am not the only one who is having the exact same problem. I just don't get why Acronis is taking so long to fix this particular problem. It's not exactly a new one.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.