can't get in?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Kathyhl, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

I think this place is great to find out information, and the people I've talked with so far have really been very supportive, however, I have never been able to log back in once I leave. I know the name I use and my p/w, but everytime I try and get back in and use them, it tells me my p/w is incorrect. Sorry to put this topic here, but couldn't find any other place to go to talk to anyone.

Thank you,

Kathy

ps. I've now been given another p/w to get in this time, but want to go back and change it back to the one I had, but one of the times I was trying to get in, it told me a member was already using that p/w with that name, which of course was me, but it wouldn't let me in. Sorry, just frustrated :oops:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Kathy,

There are actually several different things at work here...

The core underlying problem is probably cookie related. If you use the forum option to stay permanently logged on, a cookie on your system holds your login credentials. If however there is any interference with that cookie (from a cookie manager, web filtering or proxy software on your system), or if the cookie becomes corrupt (many reasons why this can happen), then the login information it holds will be wrong. So, when you return to this site you won't be logged in. :doubt:

First you must make sure you have none of the privacy or security software noted above interfering with accessing this forum. You may need to put this forum in the trusted or bypassed sites list for that type of software.

Second, you need to be logged in like you were when you made the above post, change your password to what you want... Then logoff. Close all browser windows. Delete the Wilders cookie if it is still in your cookie area. Delete your temporary internet files (i.e. browser cache). Reboot. Come back to this site and logon fresh.

*** Important ***

One problem that can occur right at the above step... is that some people "store passwords" in their browser, such as in IE which has an "autocomplete" capability, and which can store usernames and passwords for website logins. Very often the password stored there can also be wrong, so when the person tries to login in the autocomplete puts the wrong password in. Be sure this is not the case, even if you have to delete the stored password from there.

Once out of sync or once a stored password is wrong it can be a pain to fix. Often you've got to clear it all and make sure you are typing in the correct one manually. (Once these things are set up correctly, they work great. But, if they are wrong, they can cause all kinds of trouble.)

According to the error log, you weren't logged in at the time you were doing this, and you were actually using the "register" function, not the login function... Effectively, you were trying to register again (trying to create the same user account again), which is why it gave you that message. Be sure that you are on the login screen, not the register screen when trying to sign on.

3. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Thank you so much for that information. And thank you for being so prompt and courteous. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice