Can't find .tib backup file on external USB Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jlauzon, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlauzon

jlauzon Registered Member

I recently did a full backup of my Windows XP SP2 system to a Seagate Free Agent USB hard drive. Before the backup this drive was used on a Mac system. I formatted the drive using the windows format option and formatted it to NTFS. I did not partition the drive, just formatted it. I then ran True Image 10 to do a full system backup of my C: drive which was about 465 GB. The backup took about 9 hours. The True Image program displayed a message that the backup was complete, so I turned off the external USB drive.
    Now I cannot find the backup file on the USB drive. In fact, the drive does not show up in My Computer. I can see the drive in device manager.
    Acronis disk director shows the whole drive as being unallocated space. When I use disk director to search for partitions, it shows 2 partitions about 100 mb in size, both are labelled as ext3 partitions. It does not show any NTFS partition.

How can I access the .tib file? Any suggestions on how I can recover my backup?
    Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jlauzon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please collect some information to let us investigate the problem:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also collect the application log of the backup creation operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please clarify, was the backup process performed in Windows, or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media?

Then submit a request for technical support or use our Live Chat service. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. webweweave

webweweave Registered Member

Hi...I'm having a somewhat similar problem. Using ATI 2009, I successfully creating a full image of my disk 1 (both C and D partitions) and I examined the tib file that was created on my external USB drive. Everything looked great, intact files, directory, log messages seemed ok, etc.

On the "Protection State" tab it showed System Volume Backup Created, Acronis Bootable Media Created, and I chose not to activate the startup recovery manager at that time.

Later, I shutdown my system, using the "Safely Remove Hardware". The system has been off for a couple of days. Today I started ATI and System Protection said I had not created a backup...yet the log shows I have. Thinking I am a big dummy, I realized I had not started the USB ext drive, which I then did. System Protection still didn't find the tib file nor say I was protected. I re-booted, leaving the USB ext drive running. Same result: System Protection is giving me a warning that I have not created a backup.

I can see the USB ext drive and the tib file that is on it. I can mount and explore the "partitions" therein, etc. But what I don't see is that System Protected knows I am protected. In other words, why doesn't System Protected recognize that I have a backup image when Acronis first starts up...after all it scans all my disk drives, including my USB ext drive where the tib file was created?

I am now validating the backup using ATI 2009 and it says "the operation was completed successfully" so I gather that my tib file is not corrupted.

Am I doing something wrong with power on/off the USB ext drive or starting ATI?

Why doesn't System Protected recognize that I have a legitimate backup image?

Appreciate any help or direction anyone can lend to me.

Steve (webweweave)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.