Can't Find SP3 ImageManager

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

From what I downloaded I can't seem to find:

Attached Files:

• sp1.png
      sp1.png
      File size:
      15 KB
      Views:
    • sp2.png
      sp2.png
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
    • sp3.png
      sp3.png
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
  2. rodnh

rodnh Registered Member

The image manager is a separate install from SP3. It also requires you to have Microsoft .net 2.0 installed. That's another download and install if you don't already have it. To get the install program for image manager, you need to download the big iso file, burn that to CD and insert it in your CD drive while windows is booted. It should autostart and present you with the options to install SPDT3 and as a completely separate install decision, the image manager. The CD you burn is also the WinPE/SP recovery CD and is bootable by itself.

Rod

3. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Could you tell me why I might want to install this image manager app? What benefits does it bring and thanks?

Gary

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Gary, I "think" Image Manager consolidates incremental back-ups / images.

I may be wring.

...screamer

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gary

If you turn on the continuous incremental option, files will build up. What you do with the image manger is control that. What it does is every day it takes all the incrementals and collapse them into one incremental. It will also do that every week, and every month if you desire. You can also specify how long to keep the individual files, and it will keep cleaning them out. So as time goes one you have your base, a daily incremental,weekly incremental and so on. All user controlable. You can literally let run on autopilot.

Pete

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

So if you use 'continuous increments' without immagemanager (no collapse of increments into one) then just a bunch of increments could be on an ext. HDD? And still be capable of restoring. Is this correct?

I just want the one Full backup + increments till the ext HDD becomes full, then format the ext HDD, then start all over Full backup & increments. Now should my c: fail, using the full backup & any cherry picked increment, I'm back in business.

I'll gladly give up some of the bells & whistles imagemanager provides, if i can use one full backup then all increments.

Take Care
    Rico

7. Peter2150

Hi Rico

Yes you are right, but you still might want to set up a schedule, the old way which will take a full back on sunday, and then do incrementals during the week. You can set that to keep the three previous sets.

You can also manually collapse incrmentals. Only draw back to doing what you suggest is if say you have a base and one hundred fifty incrementals your restore time could be quite long, as it would have to sort thru all of them.

Also note that if you want to defrag, you really want to shut down the incrementals. Otherwise after a defrag the next incremental will be full size.

Pete

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Peter,

So imagemanager will get around the drawbacks you mention?

As an alternative, choosing 'monthly' would put 12 full backups + the associated incrementals. The ext HD would fill up fast, even faster by choosing 'weekly.'

What does this mean,
    , or how?

Take Care
    Rico

9. Peter2150

Imagemanger gets around the drawback of incrementals piling up. I have my work system increment every 15 minutes. That collapses down to 1 increment. Then the next day the 15 minute incrementals are deleted, don't need them anymore. You can set if for anything you like depending on needs diskspace etc.

To shut it down temporarily you can pause the incremental job, and then restart it. But if you defrag, I would start the job over letting it build a new base image. You have complete control. Oh shutting down and restarting the job is down in shadowprotect, not the image manager.

Pete

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If i understand you right,you always have a base image + day by day one collapsed incremental,i mean after one month you have a base image + 30 or so incrementals[one incremental for each day]so with restore you can revert back to the day of your choice in this month ?

11. Peter2150

Yes, and I believe you can also have it collapse the daily's to weeklys and monthly's Just haven't had it long enough to test all that.

12. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

ImageManager is a feature that is mostly intended for the enterprise setting. However, if you wish to use it, feel free to do so.

It will automatically collapse all intra-daily incrementals (incrementals taken during a particular day) into a single "synthetic" daily incremental (I'm using the term "synthetic" to specify an incremental that's created by the ImageManager as it collapses existing incrementals together), and will auto-collapse all synthetic daily incrementals into a synthetic weekly, and synthetic weekly incrementals into synthetic monthly. Setting it up a policy in the ImageManager is a trivial thing. Just specify a directory that you want managed, and the time of day that you want it to use as the "end of day" and how many days of intra-dailies you want to keep even if they've already been collapses, and what it should do with older intra-dailies (move them into a subdirectory, or delete them for you).

A rule the ImageManager always follows is that if you have any incrementals for a given day, it will always collapse those to a daily incremental, and it will preserve that point in time indefinitely. In other words, you'll always have at least one point in time (the end-of-day point in time) for EVERY day, back to the base, even if your base was taken years ago.

One thing to keep in mind is that ImageManager will collapse images in a way such that when it collapses all of the incrementals for the last day into a single synthetic incremental, it will make sure that this new synthetic incremental is dependent upon the previous day's syntetic incremental, rather than the last product-generated incremental. It does the same for weekly and monthly synthetics - they'll be dependent upon a previous synthetic incremental. The reason this is important is that it ensures that the length of the image chain from any day back to the base is always short (minimizing the I/O required to mount/restore/verify a chain). So if trace the file dependencies back for any give day you'll find that a daily incremental is dependent upon the previous daily incremental ONLY back to the start of that given week, and at that point it's dependent upon the previous weekly incremental, which itself is dependent upon the previous weekly, to the start of the month, which is dependent upon the previous monthly incremental, and so forth back to the base. It makes for short chains.

In other words, rather than being dependent upon every single daily incremental, back to the base, the chain of dependencies jumps from depending on dailies, to depending on weeklies, to depending on monthlies.

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Perhaps I should consider another backup strategy? First something Peter, mentioned (a few posts back) got me to wondering.

With TI 8 - 10 I made one full backup, then every Sunday I would make an increment, on my ext HD. About the end of 2006 my int. HD failed. I replaced it & restored using TI-10, the restore had many many errors, it would have been easier to format & re-install manually. Could the reason for the errors, have been the dependicies on so many increments?

I'm not useing this machine in any kind of business enviornment, and really don't need, daily backups. My most important file is my Quicken dat which, has its own backup mechanism. So I'm looking for an easy restore, from a diaster. So with TI (up until the restore failed, & the release of SP3) my strategy TI-10 is/was one full backup, then Sunday increments.

Should I look at another strategy?

Also I got stuck going to work today, & SP3 now says today's backup failed, how do i satisfy SP3?

Take Care
    Rico

14. Peter2150

Hi Rico

Sounds like your right a simpler strategy might be appropriate. Something I've also done is just do an image weekly, and keep a current FDISR archive. That way I can restore any age image and use FDISR to become current.

Important thing is to test images. What I do is image, verify and restore. I consider all the steps vital.

If you go the FDISR route also, you can just do full images one a week, and may be keep four weeks.

Simple and straight forward. No bother with Incrementals.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.