Can't enter username and password

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by CES, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CES

CES Registered Member

I feel stupid to even ask this, but apparently it's a question some complex that 2 trouble tickets to eset can't seem to get it resolved.

I'm was TRYING to use the free trial version to evaluate it. However, when it comes to the username and password screen, I cannot enter anything in either. There is a blinking cursor in the username field, but you cannot click on it, type anything or move it. You can't tab, you can't do anything but look at it.

I've contacted eset twice now only to have them not read my complaint and sent me back the canned fix of "type in your username and password".

After explaining to them that I can't type it in, that IS the problem, they sent me another email, telling me to type in my username and password.

I'm using XP with Firefox 3. I have also tried it in IE as well, and I can't get it there either.

Clearly I'm missing something and I hope someone here can help so I can move forward in trying this product and hopefully purchasing it.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    if you mean the prompt window that should appear when clicking on a download link, it's generated by your browser itself. Just to make sure, could you please confirm that you have actually received an evaluation license and the problem is you cannot download the program? If you're interested in trialing ESS, I'd suggest installing ESS v4 beta (discussed here) which seems to be stable and doesn't suffer from any serious issues. It comes with a temporary username and password that are valid until March 2009.

3. Hilroyy

Hilroyy Registered Member

I was having the exact problem with trying to get a trial version, no username and password was ever emailed to me and I cant even type into the username and password boxes. You might want to look at this.

Thanks

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you mean you cannot enter a username/password when you click on this download link?

5. Hilroyy

No, I get an email that says;

Thank you for your interest in ESET Software.

Please copy and paste the link below into your web browser to complete your download.

http://www.eset.com/download/trial....ess@gmail.com&companyname=Stan&country=United States&custentity_trial_download_valid=1&custentity_trial_product_name=ESET Smart Security&zipcode=90210&custentity_ess_trial_step2=1

I click on it which opens a window that want me to confim my address, I am directed to another screen that wants a username and password.

6. Hilroyy

This window

Attached Files:

7. Hilroyy

people seem to like the new version 4 and if you say its stable I will give that a try.

thanks

8. CES

CES Registered Member

Exactly Hillroy, that's the screen it takes me to, and I do have the username and password, it just goes to that exact point and it will not let me enter anything into those text boxes.

The cursor indicator (vertical line) just sits there and blinks, but you can't enter anything. You can't click on it, tab to it, nothing.

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The URL you were sent in the trial email message is several lines of text and your mail client only highlighting the first line of it as a URL, treating the rest of URL as text in the message.

Try copying and pasting the entire line from the message instead of clicking on it and you should be able to download the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. CES

CES Registered Member

Nope, that doesn't work. I have one correction, you can click on from username to password and the cursor will move (and blink), but you cannot get anything input.

The input boxes are gray in color.

11. Hilroyy

I had also tried copy and pasting the whole link with no results. The other thing for me was I never received a username and password at all after confirming my email address.

12. agoretsky

Hello,

Do you currently have any security software on the computer which might be disabling scripting, acting as a proxy, interfering with the HTTP stream or otherwise doing something to change the HTML sent from ESET's web servers to your web browser? If so, try disabling that before visiting the web site.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. RM1961

RM1961 Registered Member

I just found this forum. I am having the exact same problem. I bought a new computer a couple of weeks ago that came pre-loaded with Norton 360 which I would like to ditch in favor of NOD32 Smart Security and I'm trying to download the free 30 day trial. I recieived the email link to verify email address and clicked the "Get ESET Smart Security Trial" When clicking that button it brings me to another link where I need to type in a username and password but nothing happens when I try typing into those boxes.

14. agoretsky

Hello,

Check your email's spam folder. Perhaps you were sent a trial username and password and they were accidentally filtered into it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. Tony49122

Tony49122 Registered Member

Re: Can't enter username and password to download Trial. And no username or password

Hi,
    Was there a resolution why people can't download the trial version?

What I did:
    - On ESET website, clicked on trial for Security Suite
    - Entered the info (full name, email ,confirm email, country, postal code)
    - Waited for reply email, one email arrived with long link
    - Copied and pasted multi-line link into browser address bar
    - Next page asks for username and password.

Now I'm stuck. It's been 30 minutes since receiving the link but no follow-up email with username or password neither in my inbox or spambox. Anyways, like others, I can't click or tab to the username field nor can I type anything into it or paste into it even if I had a username and password. The two fields are visible but inactive. In Firefox the fields are white, in Chrome they are grey.

I called ESET to just upgrade to the suite from NOD32 antivirus and skip the trial, but they are closed for the weekend. So I'd like to see if I can load the trial this weekend.

I'm running Windows XP SP3, have ESET NOD32 antivirus, Comodo Firewall. Browser is Firefox but also tried Google Chrome. I also tried on a 2nd PC running Windows 2000 SP4 with Firefox. Same result, can't type into the username or password fields. But then again, I haven't received a username or password to use.

My objective is to remove Comodo Firewall (too many popups) and just run ESET suite for antivirus + firewall + spyware and as a bonus anti email spam on Thunderbird. I'll have Webroot SpySweeper on the PC but not running. Periodically I'll run it for an independent scan for spyware.

I have time this weekend, how to get a download of the trial?

thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  16. Tony49122

Tony49122 Registered Member

Update. I received the username and password 3 days later on March 10/09 (initially signed up for the trial March 7/09). I don't have time now to try downloading again but will try again in a few days.

Correction. ESET support sent me the username, password AND an alternate download site where the username and password fields pop up as a new, small window, instead of appearing on a webpage. Firefox 3. Am able to download the trial now.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  17. davio28

davio28 Registered Member

iam also having this problem i downloaded over a week ago and still havent had any password sent to me!!!

18. davio28

davio28 Registered Member

so still same problem no password or anything and i want to try this out because iam really thinking of buying this product

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.