Can't delete Web Reaper Folder found on Desktop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Shrek, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shrek

Shrek Guest

I tried Web Reaper from Snapfiles but decided after downloading one Website that I didn't really need it, so I decided to uninstall it.

The uninstallation process went as expected. However, after uninstallation, a "Reaped Site" folder was left on my desk top. Considering that the contents of the folder totalled 52MB, I tried to delete it! Unfortunately, after several tries, all I got was an error message stating "Cannot Delete: Cannot find the specified file."

I opened the folder and tried deleting all the folders, subfolders & files in the "Reaped site" folder but likewise could not delete most of them. Thinking that the files must have had "Read Only" attributes, I tried changing their attributes only to find that I still could not delete the folder/s.

I even tried to restore my system to an earlier date only to find the pesky folder still on my desk top. What can I do?

I don't think malware is involved here but I would sure like to know how the folder can survive all my efforts to delete it. Too, I would like to know what I can do to delete the folder....

By the way, I can't move or cut it either....

2. shrek

shrek Guest

hxxp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/trueorient/ReapedSites.jpg

Pesky folder!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2005
  3. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Try booting into safe mode and see if you can delete it

4. Shrek

Shrek Guest

I already tried, but the folder does not appear on the desk top when in safe mode. Can't find it in the system when in safe mode either....

5. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Does that folder show up in your bookmarks also? Try from there if it does. Or you can download "Unlocker" to get rid of it.

6. Shrek

Shrek Guest

It's not bookmarked and I tried unlocker earlier but got the message that "No lock handles found"

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Thanks Ron. I found 134 Namespace keys but no .cpl files in the desktop section....

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If it were me, I would reinstall Reaper and try to remove that desktop icon while Reaper is installed. Then uninstall Reaper. It may not work but, might be worth a try.

10. Shrek

Shrek Guest

I tried it but it didn't work! I guess because the "Reaped sites" folder is kinda like an output file rather than an integral part of the Web Reaper app. It really is more of an aesthetic issue more than anything else.

But then again, I'd really love to know why the folder can't be deleted and how it is loaded on boot!

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Something else to try. :D

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cpicon.htm

12. Shrek

Shrek Guest

I really appreciate your help Ron. I went through the "delete process" in expert mode 10 times, but it failed to remove the pesky folder from my desktop.... I guess I'm stuck with this until I have to reformat in the distant future....

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Shrek

Try deleting it with Unlocker , install it and rightclick on the file you want to delete. :)

Edit: Just saw that you have tried this, try Killbox instead, use delete on reboot. ;)

14. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Hi Don,

Thanks! But the folder is still on my desk top... Oh well, I think I can learn to live with it... LOL! Thanks guys...!

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. Shrek

Shrek Guest

LOL! It's still around 'spite the wizard, Ron. This is one tenacious S.O.B! But thanks for trying...! Time to earn a living...

17. Shrek

Shrek Guest

hxxp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/trueorient/Reapedsites2.jpg

It's still around and spoiling my desk top...!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2005
  18. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Help!!!!
    The total file size has shot up to 4GB from 52MB!
    I have to get rid of the folder!

It's more than an aesthetic issue now!!!!

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Try right click on folder/Properties/uncheck 'Read Only' or any other checked box, OK, reboot, try to delete.

Cheers, TAS

next post different solution..

Attached Files:

21. Tassie_Devils

I created a quick shortcut for this next solution.

try again with right click/properties and see if it's an actual shortcut, select Shortcut Tab, write down the path, then reboot in Safe Mode and see if you can find and delete.

TAS :)

or click Find Target.... to get next pic, see if you can delete directly if that's that case of being shortcut.

Attached Files:

22. Tassie_Devils

it will go to the place you are looking for the actual folder is in if shortcut...

Attached Files:

23. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Hi Ron

I've deleted everything that has anything to do with Web Reaper in my registry, but the "Reaped Sites" folder refuses to go... I'm pretty close to messing up my system... LOL! But I am learning a lot! It's a weekend so I guess I can/have to devote more time to this intriguing problem.

I've already accepted the fact that I may have to reformat/reinstall in the next few hours if I get any more aggressive in tinkering with my registry but what the heck...! I'll get to the bottom of this problem.... LOL! I'm going to check out the link you posted Ron... And thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Shrek

24. Tassie_Devils

25. Shrek

Shrek Guest

This has got to be the most intriguing problem I've encountered... and it's not even malware. You see, I downloaded/installed WebReaper without realizing that XP was not one of the OS that could support it (Duh!?)

Nevertheless, it didn't create any problem while installed and it run as expected. The whole problem started when I uninstalled it because it left the "Reaped Sites" folder on my desktop. It's like a folder that exists in the twilight zone. It's there but when you try to cut, move or delete it, Windows says it can't find it! I think I may have to compare all my current processes with that of processes generated by WIN PE. Its acting like a rootkit so I might as well treat it as one!

I intend to compare both loaded processes using WinMerge and hope I get the SOB that writes the folder on my desktop.

BTW Tassie, the shortcut thingie didn't work as well... But thanks anyway. Appreciate it!

I'll let you know how the WIN PE fix turns out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.