cant delete ISR folder

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by maddawgz, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi I've uninstalled FD but i cant delete the Fd $ISR folder in c drive arghhhhhh says acess denied 0 write protected or something help? MD o_O

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

When you uninstalled, did fd-isr not ask you whether you wanted to remove certain elements, I think if I remember correctly the default answer is No but am not sure, unless someone has another solution, try reinstalling fd-isr an pay careful attention to what it asks during the next uninstall. HTH

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You must have screwed your system very badly to get in such abnormal situation.

If you uninstall FDISR with all its snapshots, everything is gone, except the contents of the snapshot, where you uninstalled FDISR, that contents is your new harddisk after uninstalling FDISR.
    If you still have to delete $ISR-folders manually, it means that the uninstall wasn't successfull due to a corrupted system. This is not supposed to happen.
    That's why I have an army of well-choosen images to solve such situations like yours.

I can't help you there, because I'm only good, when everything is normal and when it is abnormal, I have a solution ready to fix it, because I thought about such situations in advance.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried to uninstall it in safe mode?

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Cannot delete X make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use, is most annoying and down to that file being open, 'in use' or you do not have delete permissions.

I had this with several folders when FD got corrupted. The snap-shots got put into huge temp folders and would not delete by normal means.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It probably won't work. What OS are you on. What you need to do is go into the security tab, and give yourself ownership and access permisson. THen you can delete.

You remember that good stuff, eh Stapp.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Ahhh yes, that Peter!

I still have it written down, the taking ownership of the file is not something I can remember off the top of my head for FD-ISR:)

9. Peter2150

Good, then you can post it or pm it if needed. I don't have it written down, and always have to restumble my way thru it.:(

10. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

ok i re-enstalled it then removed the last snapshot then the whole program all ok, didnt remove it properly, thing is why was it disabled FD?? only thing i ran was glary Utilities perhaps the reg cleaner did something oh well re-enstall try again MD

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  11. Peter2150

Yep Registry cleaners can cause you grief.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As Peter2150 is cautioned many times over the months, be very careful when using Registry Cleaners. I did something similar thinking i was only clearing out useless extensions/reg entries when at my next reboot, i got an $ISR File Not Found error. Not only that, but some of my snapshots refused to boot. Luckily i resorted to the emergency archives .arx plus uninstalled FD-ISR and reinstalled again.

Before that, i used XYplorer to delete some snapshots that even though i removed them via FD-ISR, their respective folders/files (some of them) were still in the $ISR folder. I learned a great deal from this frightening debacle and let go of registry cleaners PERIOD where concerned FD-ISR snapshots.

I rest better now. :)

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Be careful with Cleaners is already a laughable statement on several forums as they warn you strongly against the use of it in any circumstances.Arguments are: Its all to easy to screw up the registry,and at best the performance gain is not measureable and also stability is never proven in all the test they did.For me personally i use a cleaner after an uninstall to look for leftovers and delete them,but is it necessary i really don't know.

14. Peter2150

A good example of why they are useful is the uninstall of Acronis mess Silver had. It didn't uninstall the snapman.sys driver, and that was causing BSOD's with Shadowprotect. The drive file is on my system, but is inert as I did a cleanup with Regsupreme Pro, and it took the necessary stuff out of the registry. This is the only registry cleaner I will use, though

Pete

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It can and does happen. After i let loose a virus while testing it, ALL my snaps were rendered invaded as well as $ISR program folder; while the contents were still there, at least some of them because i used a working snapshot to REMOVE some, there were still elements left intact and virtually unremovable, which in case i ended up transferring as many programs & data files as possible to another drive via XYPloyer, then after a week of rescuing as many of them as possible, simply used my PARAGON imaging/HDManager program to both delete then wipe that infected partition and started over afresh from FD-ISR ARCHIVES that i at least had presence of mind to store to another alternative drive, and with a little time & effort have now got EVERYTHING back up and functioning as usual again.

And therein for me lies the undeniable joy & relief of this amazing rollback/recovery program. Not even a partition crusher can defeat you so long as you utilize FD-ISR's archives features to a distant drive for safekeeping.

I am totally blowed away with FD-ISR's miracle preservation technique. It's simply the best IMHO aside from having to turn to your stored images to recover from ANYTHING, including Hard Drive failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.