Can't Delete File In - C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I tried using Nvidia's Smart Scan to look for nForce drivers for my laptop since HP doesn't have any new versions and with the chip set I can't seem to find any.

Well I tried to download the activex for the smart scan but it didn't installed properly. I can't find any .inf or .ocx for it, all I seem to have is the file in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files and I can't delete it.

Anyone know how I can remove the file in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files?

THANKS

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That is a normal folder installed by the OS. Why delete it?

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Unless you really know what you are doing, and howmany of us do, do not delete files, especially in directories created by the OS or by an app. That's just asking for trouble, if not now, at a later time.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Bad install suggests you've lost the "System Requirements Lab" in add/remove - that why you're asking?

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

No, you can't just right click and delete a file in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files, that's what I'm asking...

I personally don't know if Nvidia makes an entry in the Add/Remove to uninstall at a later date this ActiveX.

All I know is I'm using IE8 and tried to install the ActiveX for Nvidia's Smart Scan and it didn't install properly, I don't know if it's because I'm using IE8 which I suspect, but it only partially installed.

So all I'm left with is the C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\Nvidia Smart Scan.

For those that don't realize this is just a file for Nvidia's scanning to look a box over to check the hardware, it's no big deal to delete it.

LOOK at 'Option 2':
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

That's how you install it...

THANKS

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Apologies. Misunderstood the question.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While in that folder, what does the Status column say for that entry Installed, Damaged....etc ? If Damaged, have you right clicked that entry and attempted an Update in case it did not fully install the first time ?

Bubba

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"I personally don't know ..." - then you'll wanna consult SRL's FAQ if it turns out as Bubba suggests.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

One answer would be the tool located here
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Whether or not you delete files I suppose is up to you to handle. Personally, I don't mind breaking something to see what happens or how to fix it. But Unlocker should let you delete it if you so wish.

Sul.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What status column?

THANKS

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Should be one like the pic below :doubt:

Bubba

status.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.