Can't Decide

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cowboy_Rusty, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowboy_Rusty

Cowboy_Rusty Registered Member

I can't decide which antivirus to use Comodo Antivirus or Avast. o_O

2. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

AVAST. There really is no comparison. Comodo is still in Beta stages, and has a horiffic detection rate - under 50% according to the tests at av-comparatives. I have heard good things about Avast.

As someone else on this forum rightly stated, you chould give Comodo another year at least before considering using their antivirus.

Not a dig at Comodo at all - im a happy user of their firewall - but their AV is a no-no.

3. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

There is nothing to decide, AVAST is by all means more reliable than Comodo AV.

4. Cowboy_Rusty

Thank you for your input. :)

5. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Avast by a country mile

6. Cowboy_Rusty

I decided to go with Avast.

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good choice :cool:

8. Cowboy_Rusty

9. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Comodo will need way mroe than a year to catch to other AV's

10. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I wouldn't put it past Comodo...that is that they can close the gap with other free AV's now that Kevin is on board.

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Even if he is good...................he is still only one man.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Kevin must have brought a good sized bunch of signatures along with him -- the catchings of his many years in the anti-nasty business. That should be a big help for Comodo's AV. Now... if they only had a decent engine.:)

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Oh i'm 100% aware of that......in case you think i'm a clueless basketcase, they still have to be added though and you can't just throw a Rolls Royce engine in a Skoda. ;)

My point was that it's still going to take quite a bit of time for one man who has never worked on an AV before to make a difference at all and a year (like the second poster mentioned) before taking a serious look again is not far off, even if you use the same paint Rolls Royce uses on a Skoda....it's still very far from a Rolls Royce. You will need to start with a clean slate, hence a year might even be too little time, Eugene Kaspersky, Peter Szor, Peter Ferrie or the Inspector would also be in for quite a mountainclimb with regards to making Comodo AV competitive and while they are working on this, the other free AV's are continueing to improve their already effective (compared to Comodo) products. :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Comodo is going to need a lot more than Kevin & Nancy if they plan on improving their AV.

15. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

nobody said developing a (please notice: professional) AV Solution is an easy task. There's much more to do than just adding Signatures. There's for instance the Mist-Virus-Engine based stuff (eg. ZMist Viruses) in case you need some challenge for a new av solution. That also reveals if your research/development staff is able to deal with a bit more complex malware than just simply static trojans.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

seriously, you couldnt decide? o_O

i thought this was pretty obvious,

~~snip~~ by Peter2150

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  17. Cowboy_Rusty

I was having trouble deciding and I was bouncing back and forth between antiviruses.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: This may help you to clear your clouds:
    If you do not like to or how to AIM and SHOOT, then do this,
    just SHOOT and AIM, and see what can come up with. There is hardly any middle ground for AVs. Good luck.

19. Cold Pizza

Cold Pizza Guest

Well said Perman!

Suggestion would be to try both AV's, of course one at a time and see what one does the better job. Myself I use Avast and very satisfied with it. It saved my bacon a couple of times, especially for a Free program.

Have a nice day!

20. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Even with Kevin's help Comodo will need at least 3 years and I think even 3 years is abit generous.

21. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:In spite of discouraging comments from left and right, Commodo will continue its AV's dev course. I would say in about 8-10 months time, when Kevin's involvement in developing full-blown anti-malware has harvested, if AV is till in Beta, CEO will make a bold move by acquiring another matured AV product. Then he will have all birds (firewall, Av, As,At) in hand to launch a first completely free-full time- internet security suite, which Bill Gates has to this day failed to accomplish. The day of Commodo becoming a household name has finally arrived. Hope my reading (not by his tea-cup leaves) of him is not too far-off.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sure but yet again, other AV vendors are not just sleeping, doing nothing.
    ALWIL has some neat stuff in the works (generic unpacker, behaviour blocker, self protection etc) and it'll come as free package too. And remember, they aren't performing bad even without all this!

23. Carzpurzkey

Carzpurzkey Registered Member

Avast! is much more better!

24. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Microsoft is not in the security software business (irregardless of the attempted foray on offering Windows Defender and a rudimentary firewall). Windows is an Operating System and has no parallels to firewall, AV, AS, AT programs. Can any of these programs perform file copy commands? Can you alter keyboard and video functions using security software? I don't think so. While it is always desirable to create a fool proof Operating System, that goal may take quite a long time to achieve. Personally, I don't think MS can develop a fool proof OS until they can get rid of hackers entirely.

But going back to the original post, Avast has achieved a decent rating in AV comparison reports that I have seen. Comodo usually is rated lower or not rated at all.

25. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

...or the day may come when a bigger fish aquires Comodo and they become a part of something else....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.