Can't create new larger partition in Recovery mode.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ackray, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ackray

ackray Registered Member

True Image Home version 9.0 (build 3,633).

I am trying to restore an image onto a larger disk and I cannot find how to increase the partition size for the NTFS partition.

I am booting with the recovery cd into the TI recovery console. At the home screen I've tried both the recovery options, File and disk. I've also tried the clone disk option.

the docs state that I can drag the partition size for a larger partition or type in the new values. Neither option is currently working.

I am trying to restore from an image made off an 80 gig drive to a 160 gig drive.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

3. ackray

ackray Registered Member

7.3.8 Changing the restored partition size and location
    1. You can resize and relocate a partition by dragging it or its borders with a mouse or by entering corresponding values into the appropriate fields.
    These changes might be useful if you are to copy your hard disk to a new high-capacity one by creating its image and restoring it to a new disk with larger partitions.

That is the part I cannot seem to get working? I'd like to be able to resize during the recovery process.

4. ackray

ackray Registered Member

That's the part I cannot get working. TI only allows me to create the PRI/ACT partition the same size as the original image. I can set up a logical partition and resize it but I need to resize C:\.

Thanks for the help1

5. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

This is the same as another post I just replied to. I cannot make the cloned drive primary partition any larger than the original drive's primary partition - no matter what I try. It won't resize automaticlly nor will it allow resizing manually, with Home Edition nor with WS Edition (9.663).

The other post told me to update to the latest version, but didn't specifically state if this is a bug that has been fixed. Is it?

6. djxtreme

OK - I updated all my TrueImage software as you requested. But guess what?! - STILL DOESN'T ALLOW RESIZING!

Why did you tell me to uninstall and install version 3666? There isn't a fix to the problem - it exists in the previous version (home and WS), and in the current versions (home and WS).

I really don't like it when I get CANNED responses from businesses. Someone SHOULD have read the posts and directly responded to our concerns instead of pasting some canned paragraph that says 'upgrade'.

1. Is there a fix to this bug?
    2. Is there a workaround?
    3. Is anyone looking into this issue?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ackray,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

If the problem persists with the latest build, please click Start -> run, then type diskmgmt.msc amd make a screen shot of Disk Management window.

Please create also Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

The requested files would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. Acronis Support

Hello djxtreme,

Please note that the problem you described is not a bug.

If you want us to proceed with the investigation, please provide the information requested in this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. djxtreme

This problem exists in the most recent version 9.3666. I also tried with the prior revision, but followed your recommendation to upgrade to the latest revision. I tried with both home version, as well as with workstation version. I used boot rescue media. Scandisk was run from Windows XP Pro, no problems. I was able to create a secure zone, then later reallocate space from the secure zone to the primary partition.

The fact that a workaround exists that will allow reallocating space signifies that it should be accomplished easier by using disk cloning directly.

Any more information you require?

Terry

10. Acronis Support

Hello Terry,

When Acronis True Image shows your drive with a red circle with a white X in the center, it recognizes some problems with your hard drive.

If you want us to investigate that problem and make sure that you don't have the problem with a hard drive, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

11. Mooron

Mooron Registered Member

I was also having trouble resizing. I finally figured it out.

First I upgraded to 3677. I don't know if there was a problem
    with previous versions or not. I did a restore/resize with
    3666 and found the system would not boot. I don't know if
    it was something I did or 3666 is buggy. Anyway, I got it
    to work with 3677.

The documentation leaves a lot to be desired. I found
    you can't do a full restore and resize at the same time.
    You need to restore MBR and track zero then restore
    the partition. If you restore the full disk, resize is not
    an option.

- Mooron

12. Mooron

Mooron Registered Member

I tried it again with 3666 and it worked perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.