Can't create bootable media rescue disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BOEING, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

After reading a lot of great info in this forum which has taught me a lot I realised that no bootable rescue media CD has been made, so when I attempted to create one via the main screen locations absolutely nothing happened, but using the Start->programs->Acronis->create bootable media it does at least try by going through the four screens until the final "Proceed" which causes an error box "Error burningthe bootable media disk"

I have tried in safe mode with the same result, and my CD writter is working perfectly in all other ways, I noticed in the True Image folder there is an icon called "ramdisk" and it's properties say Nero Media Player Media Files, and it's attributes are set at Archive, is that correct?

Any help really appreciated
    Regards BOEING

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello BOEING,

If you haven't already done so, try some of the other workarounds detailed in this <previous reply>.

Don't worry about the ramdisk.dat file - it's part of a normal TI installation. As for the properties window saying it's a "Nero Media Player Media File" that's because of the file association set for .dat files (i.e. if you double click on it, Nero Media Player will open and attempt to run the file). Again, it's nothing to worry about. You can always change or delete the association (although it will change or remove it for all .dat files) via Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types then scroll down to .dat and either delete it or change the associated program.

Regards

3. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman once again I am indebted to you for your help and assistance, and at your suggestion I checked the file type and it's not a .dat type on my computer, but rather a 'Nero Media Player file' and there is another in the folder called 'kernal' with the same file association, but these appear to be insignificant in causing my problem.

I read with interest your redirected previous post on the subject, and tried the workarounds with total success after the "proceed" with CD writter tray open attempt.

I was beginning to think my True Image was corrupted in some way, but you have now put my mind at rest and with your help I am now clear of all the problems that a week ago seemed formidable, and at last I have everything working ok.

Best regards my friend.
    BOEING

4. Menorcaman

Hi again BOEING,

Glad you finally managed to create the bootable rescue CD :).

It's clear that when you installed Nero Media Player it grabbed the association for all .dat files (some types of video files have the .dat extention). Personally, I would delete the association as detailed in my post above, unless of course you want to fire up Nero Media Player by double clicking any .dat file.

Regards

5. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman, thanks for your useful suggestion re the file association, and I will change it, but have always been a little aprehensive about the fairly simple procedure incase I lose something especially by deletion.

In my long list of file types there is only one classed as "Nero Media Player media files" and it has an icon with green disk and white triangle in centre.
    In the file type details it says Extension RMI.MID.WAV.CDA.AIF.AIFF and content [MIME] audio/midi.

Can I simply change it to another one that's already being used for something else or do I need to create a completely new one.

I must apologise to our members for straying away from the original topic to one that is not really Acronis related, and after any comment from Menorcaman I will end it.

Regards BOEING

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I had a similar problem with a DAT file association. Unfortunately it caused another program to misbehave. Since DAT is a very generic extension I thought it was plain dumb to have it associated with anything. I located it in Explorer File Types, selected it and then hit the Delete button. That removed it and my problem.

7. Menorcaman

I would leave those particular extentions as they are - they are correctly associated. Just open Windows Explorer, left click on Tools and select Folder Options. Left click on the File Types tab and scroll down the list of registered file types to DAT, select it and then click the Delete button.

If you now right click on TI's ramdisk.dat or kernal.dat file and select "Properties" it should show the "Opens with:" as "Unknown application". That indicates that the .dat file association has been successfully removed.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello seekforever and Menorcaman, thanks again for the advice, and I'm a little confused, not by your instructions but the configuration of my PC which after doing a search reveals 10 dat files all related to Nero media files.

When I scroll down the list there is no DAT file to delete other than the 10 mentioned, and if I delete them how will the program open when needed.

Regards BOEING

9. seekforever

Are you sure you are in the right spot for listing the Registered File Types? Menorcaman said Right-click on Tools in Windows Explorer but I believe it should be LEFT-click on Tools and then proceed as described.

The Registered File Types shows the extensions of the files that are linked to a particular program it does not show filenames.

I apologize if you are doing this correctly but the wording of your last paragraph made me wonder.

10. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello seekforever yes I am in the right place but you had me thinking for a minute there,:) and with my old fashioned Windows 98SE I go via Start->Settings->Folder options->File types->Registered file types and this shows all file names in alphabetical order, but apart from the one Nero there are no other file types listed as DAT.

Regards BOEING

11. Menorcaman

Hi again BOEING,

Hmm, most odd o_O. Try the following:

Using Windows Explorer, select "Tools" then "Folder Options". Select the "File Types" tab and click on the "New" button (Screenshot 1). In the "Create New Extention" window, type the word DAT in the the space provided and then click the "OK" button (Screenshot 2). You will be returned to the "File Types" tab where you should see the extension DAT as a new registered file type. Hilight the DAT file extention and then click the "Delete" button (Screenshot 3). Click the "Yes" button in the confirmation window (Screenshot 4). The DAT extention should now have disappeared. Fingers crossed, if you now recheck the "Properties" of TI's kernel.dat file it will no longer be associated with Nero Media Player.

Regards

Attached Files:

12. Menorcaman

Aargh!! There's me thinking you had Windows XP :p. It's been a fair while since I used 98Se so I'm not sure how relevant my instructions and screenshots are :doubt:.

Regards

13. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman thanks for the screen shots which are with your prompts very easy to understand, but the problem is with my 98SE OS everthing looks different.

The first shot on mine has boxes for 'New Type' 'Remove' and 'Edit' clicking on 'New Type' produces the 2nd shot, with boxes for 'Description of Type' Associated Extension' 'Content Type [MIME]: beneath those is a pad titled 'Actions' and near the bottom a button marked 'New' clicking on that but doing nothing else brings up a warning "You must specify an extenion for the file type"

It's a pity I'm not using XP otherwise it would be a straight copy of your changes, infact this event has given me a rear end kick to upgrade but not just yet until I've got this sorted.

Sorry to make this so difficult for you
    Regards BOEING

14. seekforever

I assumed it to! I booted up an old 98SE box and had a look. The list isn't as convenient. They have a description of the file type such as " Adobe document" and when you highlight it, is shows in the Details box below what the file extension(s) are. (Some extensions are listed though.) It has NewType Remove Edit buttons available so if you could find the DAT association a Remove would get rid of it (I hope).

So the short answer would be to scan the list for anything Nero and see if DAT shows up in the Details. I have a feeling that he has done this already. Should be able to do your suggested trick of adding DAT with NewType and then Removing it.

15. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Thanks seekforever now you can see why I was being cautious o_O
    Regards BOEING

16. Menorcaman

Try just entering DAT into the box marked "Associated Extentions" (leave everything else blank) and then click "Enter". If that works then follow up by choosing to "Remove" the registered extention (i.e. DAT).

There must be someone out there with a Win 98Se "box" who is well versed in removing file associations!!?

Regards

17. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

I did that and it produced a warning box saying "The Extension DAT is already in use by the file type Nero Media Player File, Choose another extension.

Perhaps someone running Win 98 SE will see this thread and give us the required action.

Regards BOEING

18. seekforever

Let's backup a bit. Is this association really causing any problem or is it a cosmetic issue? I did have a real problem once but I consider that was due to poorly written application code. (Rather than use or execute the DAT file it actually caused the associated application to run the file and of course nothing made sense to it. The app should have opened and executed the file itself.)

I have various files extensions that are associated with applications that I wouldn't consider to be the ones I would usually want to run if I double-clicked the file.

19. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

To be honest my friend we have talked so much about this file association that I must go back to the thread beginning to remember how it all started :D
    as you can see from the thread title it's got nothing to do with it :)

Regards BOEING

20. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello seekforever it was in Menorcaman's post No 2 in response to my uncertainty about files in my Acronis folder , so it was related to the original question, but I'm not aware of it causing any problems, may just an occasional inconvenience.

However it's been most enlightening :thumb:
    Regards BOEING

21. Menorcaman

Hi BOEING,

O.K. one last time. We tried the hard way and failed so now lets take the easy option ;).

Open Nero Media Player and right click anywhere on the graphic. Select "Options" followed by "Preferences" (Screenshot 1). In the Preferences window, select "File types" and either click the "Select none" button to remove all highlighted associations or just click on a particular file type to deselect the one(s) you no longer want associated with Nero Media Player (Screenshot 2). When done, click "Close".

Easy once I'd downloaded and installed Nero Media Player :) :D :D.

Anyway, that's taken us as far Off Topic as I would wish to go (apologies to other users and our Moderators!) :p.

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  22. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman thanks for still being on my case :) and I did the first of your two options as above, and now in the Acronis folder when I click on either "ramdisk" or "kernal" a Wordpad box arrives saying C:\Program cannot find this file Please verify that the correct path and file name are given.

What do you think
    Regards BOEING.

23. Menorcaman

Hi BOEING,

That's exactly how it should be as there now isn't any specific program automatically associated with .dat files (or any of the other file types that you deselected). You can now sit back and relax if you want to :).

Regards

24. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Oh what a relief I was worried for a moment that Nero would not make Acronis TI rescue disks anymore, but you have now reassured me, and finaly this wandering thread can be put to sleep :)

I can not thank you enough for all the excellent help, advice, and assistnce you have given me via this great forum :thumb: :thumb:

Best regards BOEING

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  25. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'm very happy things worked out the way they did here in this thread - but we can never forget that members like Menorcaman are the very reason/s that this forum is so great :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.