Can't create bootable CD-R rescue disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by haugmichael, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haugmichael

haugmichael Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Have just install TI 8 after updating from TI Deluxe.

I open TI 8 click on "Create Bootable Rescue Media" I have selected both
    "Full Version" and "Safe Version" click on next then I select my
    "Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-3528 T803" drive.
    I then click on next twice and then receive an error message

"error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW"

I have tried both 700 MB CD-R disks as well as CD-RW disks to no avail.

What if anythin am I doing wrong.

Burning software I have installed is Nero 5.5.10.20 (yes I know it's old}

Cheers

Michael

2. joemilford

joemilford Guest

create disk in safe mode... by hitting f8 repetetively while restarting windows..

3. haugmichael

haugmichael Registered Member

Thanx for the quick reply

Worked like a charm

problem has been solved

cheers

Michael

4. rlmiz

rlmiz Guest

I tried your solution creating Safe Version and I am still getting same result
    "Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I think you may have misread the proposed solution. It's not to create a Safe version of the boot CD but to boot into Windows Safe Mode then start True Image and try to create the boot rescue CD.

Regards

6. tuttle

tuttle Guest

What's the difference between "Full Version" and "Safe Version" bootable rescue media. And I have the original Acronis installation CD that came with my retail package of TI, so which version is that?

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi tuttle,

Essentially the Full version bootable rescue CD is Linux based and therefore uses Linux device drivers to access your computer hardware. The Safe version uses a combination of DOS and your motherboard's BOIS routines to access the hardware and may or may not detect RAID, USB, SCSI etc devices.

I'm not familiar with the retail package but would guess it contains the Full version. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards

8. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I ran Bootable Rescue Media Builder, but I get that same error: "error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW".
    TI 8.0, build 800.
    Easy CD Creator 4.02.

Do we need to launch the CD burning software first? Or does TI handle that in the background?

I am unable to burn a CD after booting into Safe Mode, because the CD burner is a removable bay drive on an IBM notebook. I guess some drivers must need to load to manage the removable bay, because in Safe Mode the CD drive is not recognized.

I was able to create Bootable Rescue Media with 7 floppies, but that's a pain. Is there any way to burn the floppy contents to a CD and have it boot? Or is there a way to create the Bootable Rescue Media files to the hard drive, because then I could just burn those filesto a CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2005
  9. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

This is the procedure that works for me;

1. Start Media Builder.
    2. Select mode (full).
    3. Select drive.
    4. Place CD in tray, close tray and press proceed while the tray is closing.

Do not wait for the CD to spin up.

10. sandwell

sandwell Registered Member

I found that leaving the tray open and letting the programme close it, worked.
    Also with Easy Creator 4.02, I went to their website,and downloaded the latest update.

11. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Multi-session: can you burn Recovery CD to a CD-R that already has data?

Wow, that tip about not closing the tray until the Proceed button is pushed is wild. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it works!

Thanks for a great tip!

One other question you guys may have an answer for:
    Is it possible to burn a Recovery CD to a CD-R that already contains some data? I normally burn multi-session CDs, so I can add more stuff to the CD-R in a later session.

I tried using a CD that already had some data, and it didn't work with Bootable Rescue Media Builder. Does it require a new, blank CD-R each time, or do I just need to try it a few more times?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Multi-session: can you burn Recovery CD to a CD-R that already has data?

Hello tuttle,

To create Acronis Bootable CD you need to use only blank unformatted CD. This means there is no way to burn Acronis Bootable CD on the CD that contains data.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. MiniMax

MiniMax Guest

Re: Multi-session: can you burn Recovery CD to a CD-R that already has data?

A similar wild guess: Perhaps Windows (or some driver/resident service, or the UDF driver?) manages to "grab" the disc if it is allowed to close normally, while letting TI proceed (and start its CD-writing routings) before the disc is fully loaded and ready, *prevents* Windows from interfering with the writing process?

That would be consistent with the method of booting Windows into Safe Mode where the rogue service is not running....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.