can't covert to Dynamic disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom Diroff, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Hi
    We are testing Enterprise server ver 8.0 build 1,158

The problem is that on the new drive, Windows will not convert from Basic to Dynamic. The GUI just doesn't do anything. The diskpart command says it is not a valid Basic disk but CHKDSK detects no problems

The original disk is a BASIC disk, 80gb on a HP DL380 and running Windows 2003 SP1.

The target machine is an IBM blade 8832, 40gb hard drive

I have tried multiple images and restores on multiple machines.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Tom D

2. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

oops, sorry. Is an IDE drive

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Actually, I'm not sure if it is an Acronis related issue.

Could you please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Have you transferred your operating system to the computer with a different hardware configuration?

Is it possible to convert the original hard drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Re: can't convert to Dynamic disk

Good Morning

1) I take an partition image of a 80-gb drive(scsi) on a Win 2003 server, HP DL380 dual processor server. This disk is a basic disk at this point.

2) Drop the image on an IBM 8832 dual processor blade with 40gb IDE hard drive.

3) system will not boot, (never does, get a momentary splash screen then it reboots). So I boot off of Win 2003 CD and reinstall over the top. Everything goes fine.

4) System boots and everything looks very nice and works well.

5) I attempt to convert basic disk to dynamic disk using GUI. It never gets to the "are you sure" screen and seems to ignore request after the drive is chosen to convert.

6) I try the diskpart command at command line and it also fails to convert but it claims that the drive is not a valid basic disk.

7) I run chkdsk on drive, it passes ok

:cool: I re-write MBR using your utility and others and it still won't convert

9) I get partition data. Drive is set to 07 which is correct for basic disk (I think)

10) I try other Acronis images that were made on other DL380's and brought to IBM baldes and none of them can covert.

11) I try to convert original disk on the HP DL380 and it seems to work ok.

Any thoughts? I hope this helps

Thank you

Tom D

4)

5. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

Please be aware that in order to transfer your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article.

Please also note that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware. Actually, no one can guarantee this.

As for the problem with converting the basic volumes to dynamic. I'm afraid that this is not an Acronis related problem. I recommend you to contact your hard drive vendor and maybe even Microsoft Support Team in order to figure out what is the problem.

Please also note that the fact that you was able to convert the basic volumes to dynamic on the original HP server does not mean that you will be able to do it on the new IBM sever, since it has completely different hardware (including the hard drives).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Tom Diroff

Tom Diroff Guest

Hi

The reason for using sysprep in the article is so that a unique SID can be generated for the new machine. That is not an issue here since the new machine completely replaces the old machine.

I have been able to make the software work in all respects except for being able to convert the disk from basic to Dynamic. Can you do this in your lab?

Thank you

Tom D

7. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information for both original HP server and new IBM sever as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Send these files to support@acronis.com along with the short description of the problem and the link to this thread. Please also do not forget to mention that you are requesting for a test to be done. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.