Can't connect to remote clients for backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jlindborg, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlindborg

jlindborg Registered Member

Hello, I purchased and licensed Acronis*True*Image Management*Console version 9.1 build 3718 - and I'm having trouble getting it to connect to remote computers on my network. All my computers in my house are XP with SP2 and current patches from MS.

I'm trying to setup the management console on my main XP computer and do backups of several other XP boxes I have around the house. However I'm able to connect to none of them. When I attempt to install the software remotely it gives me a dialog that says:

"E00640000: REmote installation to "mainserver" failed. The system error #1,219 occured while accessing the network. Possible reasons might be incorrect network configuration or that you do not have enough privileges for executing this operation"

I'm using the login for the only account created on the XP box in this case (besides "guest") - it's listed as Administrator Type in the XP user applet. I'm quite sure I'm providing the correct login and password.

So I went ahead and logged into the XP box in question and installed the client software on it directly and rebooted it. I then tried to connect to it and get a dialog that says:

"Username or password is incorrect - Specify correct logon information for remote computer..."

I've tried turning the firewalls off on both boxes just to be sure - I can create shares and access them from both directions and the network is fine. There's not much in the way of details in the documentation about troubleshooting this type of thing. I can install the TrueImage workstation on these computers and back them up to a share on the network, but that's not how I want to set this up - I want a central computer to run the management console and do backups on demand/schedule - it's why I paid for the software in the first place.

I've seen several other threads with people having similiar problems but nothing in them provided a solution. Can anyone suggest anything I'm missing here? I'm stumped as to what to try next...

thanks

-JL

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  2. jlindborg

Well, getting about as much feedback out here as I am with an official case open - go figure.

But I feel the need to follow up anyway - continuing to bang heads with this and getting nowhere. The networking functionality of the product is just poorly documented at best and seems very flaky. Short story is installing Workstation on each computer and having backups on off box shares is not reliable - it worked on one of my computers but two others failed consistently after creating the backup file with some garbage error about "poor quality" of the backup media - these are the same shares Sage TV has zero problems streaming high definition TV broadcasts to all day long - it's a gigabit hard wired network and the pipe is more than sufficient. And yes - I have everything off while I'm testing - there is jack squat for network traffic other than TI backup here. Fiddling with the hard drive write speed and priority settings etc... made little if any difference. Sometimes it fails right away, sometimes after spinning its wheels for several minutes.

Either way, I had wanted to get the backup agents installed and do backups on my main XP Pro box and I've been completely unable to get that to fly at all. I can see it hitting the port and opening a connection but it fails every time indicating the login and PW don't have "sufficient rights" to perform the operation. Clearly not the case but I've been unable to figure out what it's really unhappy with and since there are zero troubleshootng docs or tools for this and the logs are not showing anything helpful, not a lot more I can do on this front. I'm suprised there is nothign in the help about which ports it's using and such - I'd have thought that would be a must have for a supposedly 'enterprise quality' product here.

The only reliable backup method was backing up to a local hard drive and then copying it off to a share on the network when it was done. Not at all what I had in mind.

Getting pretty frustrated with this product...

3. jlindborg

Just in case anyone comes cruising along after me here and runs into the same thing - get the PDF guide for the 9.1 product tucked under one of the download links here:

http://us2.download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageCorporateWorkstation9.1_ug.en.pdf

This has some details you'll need - don't even bother with the "help" that installs with the product - not worth the CPU cycles necessary to render it...

Either way - I've given up on this working across servers and just went back to a simple (free) drive imaging package that runs locally on all XP boxes, makes backups to local partitions and copies them off to the network. Thought I'd get a boost in productivity going with a "real" enterprise quality product... since it, too, has to run locally I don't see any point in paying for it. oh well, live and learn.

-JL

4. cford

cford Registered Member

I have had the same problems with no luck finding a solution. I have searched firewall, virus protection, and OS version issues, but still no luck. I have a mixed environment with XP pro and 2000 Pro machines with the latest updates. The 2000 machines have no issues when I install the agent. Most of my older XP machines have no issues, but all of the last 20 XP machines give the same errors when trying to install the agent. The last service call, Acronis said there were issues with our network, so I had to beg for new switches. Now I'm not looking so great since I spent the money for new switches and the problem still exists.
    If others are having the same problems, maybe they'll put their 2 cents in and a solution can be found. I just know that after everything I've spent getting the software and the switches, it's looking pretty bad since I can't get this to work. Especially since the VP over our department is one of those I CAN'T get backed up.

5. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

I was having very similar problems to the OP...

I received a suggestion from Tech Support that solved the problem:

"To resolve the problem you should remove the ag_fconnect.dll file from the remote machine where Acronis True Image Agent is installed.

The ag_fconnect.dll file should be removed from the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Agent

Note also if there is Acronis Backup Server or Acronis Group Server installed on the same machine with the problematic Acronis True Image Agent, than the described solution will prevent them from proper functioning.

It is better not to delete the ag_fconnect.dll file, but to move to a different location (i.e different folder)."

I hope that this information is of use...

All the best,

Kenneth

6. kflorian

kflorian Registered Member

Same problem...tried the ag_fconnect.dll solution to no avail. Still looking for a solution short of reinstalling an OS.

7. Slogmeister

Slogmeister Registered Member

I have the same bloody problem. I have disabled the firewall, made sure that administrative shares are set, even made sure that the administrator password is the same between the two. I can ping the machine, I can connect to shares, I can even manage it remotely, but this bloody thing simply won't connect. I installed it in a domain at another location and it worked just fine. This location I'm at does NOT have a domain. I am thinking that this may be part of the problem. I have a call into Acronis - we'll see what happens.

- Slogmeister

8. oneofabillion

oneofabillion Registered Member

SAME PROBLEM HERE!

If anyone finds the answer to this, please, I need it as well..... Pretty frustrating. Just bought the product today because of good past experience and needed... This is not one of those experiences may I say.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Slogmeister and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please perform the actions described in this previous post of mine and clarify if that helped you to solve the issue?

If that does not solve the issue, please collect the requested information and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.