Can't Complete Drive Copy

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by lpdavion, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lpdavion

lpdavion Registered Member

As I begin to copy my c: drive to j:, Drive Copy checks both and reports "System restart is required . . . The operation Disk copy needs exclusive access to the volume C: and cannot be completed without system restart. After restart, the operation will continue in boot-time mode. Do not turn off the computer until the operation completes." Then choices of "Restart" or "Retry" are offered.
    1) I don't understand the meaning of the first sentence- "the operation Disk copy needs exclusive access" Huh?
    2) Next sentence- after doing a system restart the operation (what operation?) does not continue in boot-time mode. Nothing starts- it just sits there and does nothing.
    Not that the message or directions indicate it, but I conclude running chkdsk is necessary. After running 'chkdsk c: /f', it gives me the same message. How can I get out of this endless loop and get my drive copied?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello lpdavion,

Are you still stuck in a loop every time you retry to reboot? If you still are, you need the recovery cd and update the MBR. Once you get your system to boot back into Windows normally, we can perform other methods. It will not work if you are copying a larger partition to a smaller hard drive, even if the data fits, simply because it will not repartition during the copy.

If you have additional space elsewhere, I recommend doing a backup and restoring instead. You can do that live in Windows without the restart and to a smaller hard drive.

I can further assist you if you can provide some info.

1. Size of C drive, and size of actual space used.
    2. Size of J drive
    3. Do you space elsewhere like an external harddrive?
    4. What paragon product do you own? DB, DC, or HDM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.