Can't clone my laptop HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by smckeown, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smckeown

smckeown Registered Member

Using latest version of ATI 10
    I have tried different ways, all unsucccessful:
    1 - Clone facility. I attach the destination drive via USB and the setup goes well. Required a reboot as i'm cloning the internal HDD> During reboot I get error disk not found
    2 - I have made a full backup of the HD and trabnsfered that to the new HD via USB but doesn't boot when installed into the laptop. I get an error with something like check cable ?
    3 - I tried to connect both existing and new HDs to my desktop and use clone facility that way, but existing HD isn't recognised via USB

What am I doing wrong ? can't seem to find any posts that answer any of the above..help appreciated

Sean

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Make the bootable Rescue cd from the installed True Image software, boot with it and use the Clone function from its menu.

3. smckeown

tried that. all cloning went well. put the new disk into the laptop and it's saying OS not found..arse!

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Try initialising the target disk from Windows Disk Management tool before you start.

F.

5. smckeown

ah there seems to be an issue in this area.

when i boot xp with the 2nd drive hooked up via USB. I enter disk mgmt and it's unallocated. It initialise it and it gives me an unexpected error. If I take the usb cable out and put it back in, hey presto all is well it's allocated. But if i rebood XP i'm back to square 1 again.

system log says very little, just source = LDM, and the more info URL says bugger all

Disk failure ?

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I would start by trying to update the driver for the USB drive.

If your disk behaves normally when connected as an pucker internal drive, then you do not have a failed disk.

Did the USB enclosure come with a screened cable - or are you using an ordinary A->B USB cable ?

F.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

In an effort to find out what imaging procedures were used, can you tell us whether you applied checkmarks to the full disk option or all disks during backup & restoring as per this image?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.