Can't clone my HDD with TI !

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by St?phane, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St?phane

St?phane Guest

I tried to clone my hard disk with TI, no luck. I run Windows XP and my 2 hard drives are similar: both are 80Gb Seagate. I get the following error message: "Unable to write disk 2 sector 0". If I select ignore, I then get the same error message but this time for sector 63, 64, 65 and so on.

I reformated my second hard disk: same problem. I checked the forum, the manual, and the FAQ, no luck either as to why I can't clone a hard disk to another similar one which is working perfectly well.

Otherwise making an image seems to work fine.

Please help !

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Stéphane

And Welcome.

You should not really need a formatted HDD when doing the clone, unless you mean you did a low level format [000].

Try doing the clone with Ti's BootDisk, and see if it helps.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. St?phane

St?phane Guest

Thanks, but it doesn't work ! tried TI bootDisk, booted up form the CD thus created, loaded the Acronis True image without a problem and then launched Clone Disk: it stops right away with a the following cryptic error message:

Error
    "E000101F4: Acronis True image has detected unsupported disk drives. Acronis True Image does not not support Windows Dynamic Disks, Ez-Drives etc..."

I am using a simple Seagate IDE 80 Gb drive, difficult to find more common type of disk drives. The strange thing is that both driveds are identical...

Any clue or help ?

4. St?phane

St?phane Guest

Since nobody from Acronis can help me to clone my disk, I must conclude that True Image is a crappy little software.

This is not only confirmed by my experience and the time lost, but also when I read all other the other people on this forum who have lost data left and right. For those of you considering purchasing, be very careful ...

The product doesn't work as advertised and nobody is there to help you.

5. TheQuest

Hi, Stéphane

At least the error message is different with the BootDisk, that was a start, but:-
    Will not bring much help.

The is a support forum so people will have many problems that how or what most threads start with a Problem.

Some even come back to thank people for the help they get.

Take Care,

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I wouldn't jump the gun so hard - You only waited 37 minutes from your first posting to declare "all is lost."

7. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

TI does not support dynamic disks. More info HERE.

HTH...

8. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I'm no expert but if it can't write to the hard disk without error messages this sounds like a hardware problem rather than Acronis. I've had problems like this and it was either my memory not being able to work at the speed it was set to or the CPU being over clocked too far. I would check the bios settings to see if you haven't some setting which may be causing the problem such as having it set to performance settings it can't handle or memory speed or timings that are too high etc.

As far as being an unsupported disk I don't know what a dynamic disk is as opposed to a non dynamic one but if it's a common drive it certainly seems odd that it won't support it.

9. Stephane

Stephane Guest

After some research, the problem is finally solved.

I realized that my second identical hard disk had been configured by Win XP as Dynamic, whereby the first hard disk was configured as Basic, go figure.

But dynamic disks are incompatible with True Image. So I had to revert Hard disk 2 from Dynamic to Basic. Fortunately, I found the instructions to it there: http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806

I just needed to dig the Microsoft sector editor, Disk Probe, burried in a CAB file included in the Win XP CD, and edit the Master Boot record of the Dynamic disk. Sounds more complex than it is, I just changed one digit in the MBR.

When done, I rebooted and the cloning proceeded flawlessly. Disconnected the first hard drive, and booted from the second hard disk, and everything was there.

I simply regret that the instructions were not located in the FAQ of Acronis, would have saved me some precious time.

10. TheQuest

Hi, Stephane

Glad to see you have managed to get it sorted.

I hope you now find Ti is not such crappy little software.

I have stated many time the OS Installation Disk is not just for installing the OS, but is also a very powerful editing tool and very well worth learning how to use.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.