can't clean Win32/Exploit.msword.smtag again?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by oblina, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oblina

oblina Registered Member

I am getting an alert that a file I created in word on my computer at home is infected with a variant of this trojan but ESOD is unable to clean it. I found an old thread discussing false positives with an update in virus definitions that caused this a couple of years ago. I cannot locate a tool to clean the file, and the process fails in ESOD.
    We are running 6574 (20111025) definitions and update module 1037 (20110921). I would like to be able open the file. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached an image of the message and an image with the "about" specifications for ESOD on my machine.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you positive that it's a false positive? Only macro viruses can be cleaned in Office document files, otherwise the file needs to be deleted. By the way, you are using an outdated program version 3.0.695, the latest Business edition version number is 4.2.71.

3. oblina

oblina Registered Member

Hi Marcos, thank you for letting me know about the version. I will inform our IT person.
    I am not sure that it is a false positive but I really wanted to be able to use the file so I was wondering if there is a way to determine, or if there is any tool to clean it, if it is, in fact infected.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

5. Hollowstriker

Hollowstriker Registered Member

@oblina

If you really want to use the file, and it is just a simple word document, try uploading it to Google Docs.

http://docs.google.com

It should be able to open and render the file just fine (with some minor formatting issues for complex documents). From what I know, it should be safe to do this without the risk of virus infection, but someone can correct me on this if I am wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.