Can't change partition size on restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by perryg114, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perryg114

perryg114 Registered Member

I just downloaded a trail version of true image after having had severe problems with Norton ghost that came with system works 2003. I am trying to put a larger hard drive in my laptop using a USB hard drive as the backup device. I can get the image to restore to the new hard drive however I cannot find a way to change the partition size to that of the new hard drive. It partitions my new 80G hard drive to the old 20G size. I looked at the help files and I have not been able to change the partition size on the new restored drive, and suggestions?

Perry

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Instead of restoring the backup as a drive:

1. First, repartition your new drive any way you wanna.
    2. Instead of REcover My Computer, use Recover My Files. It will take longer.

Although I prefer the above approach, you could also get a tool such as Partition Magic and resize the partition AFTER restoring the drive.

3. perryg114

Well it was partitioned to 80 G before the restore but it put it back to 20G.

Perry

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Perry,

If you don't have suitable partition management software use this <workaround> instead.

Regards

5. Howard Kaikow

Do not restore the drive, just the files.

6. perryg114

I just did the replace files thing and it won't boot. Evidently the boot sector etc was not copied. What I did was boot from the Win XP CD then repartitioned it to 80G again and exited after it formatted it. I then went in and restored the entire disk contents. This did not seem to work cause it won't boot.

Perry

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The best way in these circumstances is to create a Secure Zone in the free space and then delete it. A choice is then given to add this space to the existing partition. Job done in a few minutes. I have tested this method and it works for me.

Xpilot

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

A friend of mine tried Partition Magic and it trashed his harddrive - well all software can't work in all places. But when he asked for his refund, as provided for under the terms of sale, Acronis, it seems, told him to pick out some replacement software instead.

Anyone else had problems getting refunds from Acronis?

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi shieber, I see that this was already addressed in the last thread where you posted it.

10. perryg114

Well it seems all features of trueimage and disk director free versions have been disabled that involve changing of disk partitions. I really don't want to buy two seprate applications when one should do the job. Also since I don't really know what has been purposely disabled it is hard to evaluate the usefuleness of the software. True image won't let me create a safety zone.

Perry

11. HW11

HW11 Registered Member

Just as a matter of interest, Partition Magic is sold by Symantec, not Acronis.

12. perryg114

Yeah I was wondering about that also. Ya can't blaim Acronis for what Symantec screwed up but in my case once bitten twice shy. I want to know it will work before I buy. Symantec has gotten the last of my time and money. The jury is still out on Acronis.

Perry

13. Howard Kaikow

Since Acronis has offices in the USA, I expect that they are subject to our laws.

The FTC laws covering warranty, etc. do require that you can receive a refund if requested within a certain period of time, 30, 60, or 90 days, I forget which. It's part of te Manguson-Ross, or something like that, law.

If you are within the specified period,Acronis has to give you a refund. If not in the specified period, then Acronis has no obligation.

14. Howard Kaikow

Symantec has a "no questions asked" refund policy if done within the stated time period (might be 60 days). Give them a call.

15. Mooron

Mooron Registered Member

I had this problem. You can't restore mbr/track 0 and resize
    a partition at the same time. You have to restore mbr/track0
    then restore the partition. This should be more clearly documented.

- Mooron

16. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Didn't PartitionMagic or Ghost require .NET before the application will load?

17. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

PartitionMagic 8 (from Powerquest) didn't use .NET
    Symantec bought them out but I think they essentially just rebranded PartitionMagic rather than modifying the software.
    Note that Acronis has a product 'Disk Director' which is similar to PartitionMagic.

18. Howard Kaikow

Ghost 10 requires .NET 1.1.

19. furballi

furballi Registered Member

OK...thanks. That's the bad boy that refused to load on my PC. That would explain why SYMC's stock price is still stuck at $15.

I was about to test drive the latest TI9 until I discovered the 75MB download file. Is this a typo? Does Acronis still disable some functions of the program? <snip> However, I would like to give ATI9 a good workout on my new Seagate 7200.10 since it is so highly praised on this forum.

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

This thread is closed as it has gone way off-topic for the Acronis support section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.