Can't Change IE Start Page

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rogerq, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

I'm pulling my hair out. A couple of years ago I set one of the programs to block changing of the IE Start Page. I now want to change it. But Can't.

I've gone to the registry and deleted or renamed the start page in the main IE section of the registry. I've run HiJack this and made sure that the start page selection was not checked to protect it. I've run spyblaster and spybot s&d.

Have made all of the changes here. Yet if I run them again, the previously locked home page is back.

What have I missed?

Roger

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi rogerq,

I think we'll need a bit more information before we can narrow down what steps (or programs) you might have missed in trying to re-set your IE's homepage.

Some firewalls, and also some antivirus suites do offer the locking option of the brower homepage. Have you checked these programs? Also, do you remember any other security programs you may have installed, configured, and then uninstalled?

The more information and listing of security apps that you've used over the course of the past few years could be very helpful.

Regards,

snap

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Roger,

Along with the above questions by snapdragin....if this is happening on only one particular site....I would double check Spybot's TeaTimer Black list to make sure it was not the problem by right clicking the TeaTimer icon in the tool tray by the clock(if TT is activated)....select Settings and select the Blocked registry changes tab. Do you have an entry concerning start page.... ?

If it is happening on any URL you attempt to put in there and if you feel comfortable looking....I would take a look at the below reg key and see if there is a Home Page policy present which will then help with certain questions snapdragin asked.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

Bubba

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Bubba already mentioned, but you might wanna look into the entire issue of restriction policies (graphic interface editor run by gpedit.msc). You can control almost anything you do through the policies. Many programs actually use the same registry values used by the policies to achieve the same effect.
    Mrk

5. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page REG_SZ http://my.myway.com

I cannot modify or delete this setting and get it to stay the way I changed or deleted it. I delete it, modify it;yet, when I run regeditx again, the setting is back.

Bubba, reference the url you mentioned:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

It is set to 0

I have run HiJackThis: it shows the follwoing key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://my.myway.com.

I check this to fix it by quaranteen or delete. It removes it. However, next time the program is run, it is back. Can't permanently delete it like before.

I run spyblaster, tools, it shows a list of IE browser pages and "myway" is the first one. I highligt it, click on the change bar at the bottom and replace it with anything(blank page, google, etc.). Come back later and MyWay is restored. Can't remove it.

Run SpyBot S&D: go to tools section:
    Browser pages: MyWay is listed as start page. Change it. Change won't stay.

IT Tweaks on browser page, all locks are unchecked.

In AD-Aware SE; can change default IE page to anything. But current settings from system will still show "myway". Can't change it.

Any other suggestions?

Roger

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I do not stay on top the highjack problems nearly as much as others but I do not re-call myway being a concern nor do I find many myway hits as far as hijackthis logs are concerned :doubt:
    Was you able to check the below suggestion from my first post :doubt:

7. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

TeaTimer isn't active and there are no entries in the white and black lists.

Also, the MyWay home page was placed there by me a few years ago.

I just want to change it now and can't.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Even tho this was a few years ago....hopefully you'll be able to remember most of the programs snapdragin is asking about in her above post. One thing tho has been confirmed....Spybot , Spywareblaster and a number of other programs utilize the Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel reg key for accomplishing this blockage....so it's now down to hopefully knowing the past\present security software installed.

Bubba

9. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

The only firewall I use is built into my router(Netopia) and I've never made any changes to it.

Other security software were installed after the IE home page was locked. They have since been uninstalled. Don't think any of them had the capability of locking the home page.

Why can't I change the registry to another page and get it to stick?

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The current user does not have a policy to lock the home page as you've verified so it's now down to figuring out which program you used a year ago to "block changing of the IE Start Page". Even tho you deleted the offending program....not all programs clean up after themselves completely so unless you can remember some of the programs used back then it's going to be a rough road to hoe in attempting to help you determine which program you used to accomplish this.

In case it helps....what operating system does this concern ?

Also....is the place where you attempt to change the home page in Internet Explorer greyed out ?

11. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

12. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

13. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

Using WinXP Pro SP2.

I've attempted to change the home page in several different locations to include registry, IE, HijackThis, and the other programs that allow you to do this. None of them will stick.

The Place where attempted to change is not greyed out.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Well that doubly confirms that a windows policy is not in force and that programs such as Spywareblaster, Spybot are for sure not the culprit. That then still leaves a program still onboard that does not utilize a Windows policy to enforce this or a program you used in the past. As said before.... "unless you can remember some of the programs used back then it's going to be a rough road to hoe in attempting to help you determine which program you used to accomplish this"

Have you taken a look at the registry key below to see if by chance there is an old program that your pretty sure you un-installed that's still showing that might still be holding the lock on start page change ?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

15. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.