Can't boot XP or Vista after cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kentster, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentster

kentster Registered Member

OK - I have screwed something up here and I'm looking for ideas. This is what I've tried:

I have a dual boot system, XP Pro on C:, Vista Ultamite on D:. C: is a 160 GB SATA drive, D: is a 200GB IDE drive.

I installed an 250 GB SATA drive in the system and booted into Vista (this was my big mistake - Vista marked the drive as F:). I installed Acronis 10, made a boot CD and then I rebooted. Once I rebooted off the CD, I cloned the 200 GB IDE drive to the 250 GB SATA drive. Once that was done I disconnected the 200 GB IDE drive and rebooted. At this point I find out I could not boot Vista but I could boot XP. When I try to boot Vista it complains about not being able to find winload.exe. So I booted off the Vista DVD and ran through the automated repair of the boot area (Vista automatically noticed the problem and fixed it - I didn't use bcdedit or bootrec from the command line).

Now I reboot and Vista loads. But when I log in after a long wait I get an error saying my profile could not be loaded. I am able to launch task manager and explorer and that's when I find out that the 250 GB SATA drive is still labeled as F:. This is the cause of my problem. So shut down, plug the 200 GB IDE drive back in and reboot. Now everything works but now I need both D: & F: imaged to get a clean boot.

So I figured I'd start over. I shut down, unplugged the 250GB SATA drive and reboot. I get the same error about not being able to find winload.exe. So again I boot off the Vista DVD and run the automated start up repair (this time it didn't automatically prompt me to do so). Now when I try to reboot off of the 250 GB HD I get a could not load BCD error. I reboot back off the Vista DVD, try using bootrec from the command line but the only Windows installation it find is C:\Windows (The XP Pro install). I tried plugging the 200 GB IDE back in but still no luck. I also tried rebuilding the bcd (using bootrec /RebuildBcd) but it had no effect.

Any ideas as to what I can try next? At this point I just want my original configuration back. My ultimate goal is to replace the 200 GB IDE with the 250 GB SATA drive.

Thanks,
    -Kent

2. kentster

kentster Registered Member

Can't boot either XP or Vista after cloning

Edit: Sorry for the two threads. The forum told me it couldn't add my thread when I went to post it the first time so I reposted it. Apparently the forum didn't have as big a problem as it thought.

OK - I have screwed something up here and I'm looking for ideas. This is what I've tried:

I have a dual boot system, XP Pro on C:, Vista Ultamite on D:. C: is a 160 GB SATA drive, D: is a 200GB IDE drive.

I installed an 250 GB SATA drive in the system and booted into Vista (this was my big mistake - Vista marked the drive as F:). I installed Acronis 10, made a boot CD and then I rebooted. Once I rebooted off the CD, I cloned the 200 GB IDE drive to the 250 GB SATA drive. Once that was done I disconnected the 200 GB IDE drive and rebooted. At this point I find out I could not boot Vista but I could boot XP. When I try to boot Vista it complains about not being able to find winload.exe. So I booted off the Vista DVD and ran through the automated repair of the boot area (Vista automatically noticed the problem and fixed it - I didn't use bcdedit or bootrec from the command line).

Now I reboot and Vista loads. But when I log in after a long wait I get an error saying my profile could not be loaded. I am able to launch task manager and explorer and that's when I find out that the 250 GB SATA drive is still labeled as F:. This is the cause of my problem. So shut down, plug the 200 GB IDE drive back in and reboot. Now everything works but now I need both D: & F: imaged to get a clean boot.

So I figured I'd start over. I shut down, unplugged the 250GB SATA drive and reboot. I get the same error about not being able to find winload.exe. So again I boot off the Vista DVD and run the automated start up repair (this time it didn't automatically prompt me to do so). Now when I try to reboot off of the 250 GB HD I get a could not load BCD error. I reboot back off the Vista DVD, try using bootrec from the command line but the only Windows installation it find is C:\Windows (The XP Pro install). I tried plugging the 200 GB IDE back in but still no luck. I also tried rebuilding the bcd (using bootrec /RebuildBcd) but it had no effect.

Any ideas as to what I can try next? At this point I just want my original configuration back. My ultimate goal is to replace the 200 GB IDE with the 250 GB SATA drive.

Thanks,
    -Kent

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kentster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please see this article regarding incorrectly assigned drive letters and cloning.
    As for transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives, please take a look at this article.

P.S. I have merged your two threads together.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: May 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.