Can't boot with TI Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Colvin, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

I'm looking for help with getting a PC to boot with the TI Boot Disk.

Specs:
    • Windows XP Home
    • True Image 9.0 build 3677
    • 2 HDDs: Master - Slave
    • CD-RW (Master)
    • CD-ROM (Slave)
    I successfully created the Boot Disk (twice). Boot order is configured for 1) CD, 2) Floppy, 3) HDD. Booting with the Boot Disk in either removable drive shows a blinking "-" (dash) for about 2 minutes +/- and then the system boots into Windows. I'm at a loss to know where to go from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Are you able to test the CD out on another computer? It sounds as though the BIOS can't find a bootsector on the CD, so wanders off and finds the XP one on the harddrive.

Colin

3. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

I tried his Boot Disk on my PC, also running the same version of TI and Win XP and it didn't work. So, out of curiosity, I tried my own TI Boot Disk on my PC and it didn't work either, which is very strange since it has worked flawlessly in the past. So, I created another one and that did work.

Now... are these Boot Disks proprietary? i.e., if you create a Boot Disk on one PC will it work on another PC which is running the same O/S and version of TI? My machine is dual-boot; XP Home and Vista and his PC is just a plain vanilla XP Home. Of course, other than that the two machines are totally different. What I'm wanting to know is if I could create a Boot Disk on my machine which he could use on his?

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Yes!! A "boot CD" Should work on all os's. Also for the a boot/rescue CD to work it is not necessary to have TI installed on the computer. A boot CD ( in this case rescue CD) is kind of like an operating system of it's own. ( for a lack of a better description)

5. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

Okay.... here's the result... my working TI Boot Disk did not work on his machine either. I took both CD drives out, checked the jumpers to make sure they were set correct (M/S), checked the BIOS boot sequence settings, etc., and everything was as it should be. I then created another Boot Disk on his machine which said was successful and tried booting with that new disc. Same result.... nada. The machine recognizes that a disc is in the drive, gives the blinking dash and after about 5 minutes boots into Windows. I've tried both drives (CD-RW/CD ROM), the latter being a brand new drive and no success with either.

Now what? :(

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

When TI initiates Media Builder, do you get a progress screen and a final no error message?

When you look at the rescue CD in explorer, do you see an Acronis folder?

Colin

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Since there is a new release of TI9, why not download the new update and create a new bootable CD and retry.

user updates
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/updates/

Login and your new update will be availabe for download.

PS: Do you have any other bootable CD which you can try? Use one to confirm which is the boot CD drive.

8. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

@bodgy: Yes, during the building process, everything is as it should be.

@GroverH: Issue is resolved. I believe the problem was that Nero InCD was interfering with the creation of the Boot Disk due to a setting in its "Options". So, I set it to "Do nothing" when a blank disc was inserted into the drive rather than automatically format it if possible. I also had him update to the latest TI 9.0 build and then we created a new Boot Disk. It booted with the disc faster than I have seen any PC boot. http://www.the-highway.com/Smileys/giggle.gif I also checked everything else was working, e.g., creating a backup image, mounting/unmounting an image, and booting with the Boot Disk and going through the motions of doing a Restore. http://www.the-highway.com/Smileys/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for everyone's advice and patience.

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Nice to "see" a happy ending. It too bad that some of those having problems are so impatient. Quite often, the problem is the user--not the software. Many refuse to invest a little time to ensure success. You were persistent and successful.
    Merry Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.