Cant Boot To Safe Mode

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

When I boot into safe mode it gets stuck on the classpnp.sys. I run a Win 7 x64 Pro OS so the file is located in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder.

Mine is corrupt and creates a nice BSOD when booting into safe mode. Ive read its the cause of a corrupt driver.

Ive tried taking a classpnp.sys driver from a clean system and replacing the corrupt driver to no avail. Ive tried the automatic boot repair to no avail. Any insight would be great. Ive done a chkdsk, virus scan with Dr Web and MBAM. No hardware or anything has changed. This is all on my laptop.

The BSOD code is 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you ran chkdsk in case it fixes errors on hd? not sure what else can be done, ideally you have a system image backup. Did you add remove hardware/software prior to the error?

3. whitedragon551

Did and there were no errors. I do have a backup. Its a laptop so no hardware has been changed aside from the PnP sorts like gaming mice, gaming keyboards, etc. Software I uninstalled DVDFab and switched to Slysoft AnyDVD and Slysoft CloneDVD yesterday.

The file in question is a digitally signed Microsoft driver for the IDE/SATA of the HD. I havent had any recent Windows updates that have changed this driver.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

These are the times when system restore actually comes in handy. Have you tried that?

Sul.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Technet Forum

6. whitedragon551

Dont use it.

Since this is a laptop I dont have a whole lot of HD options. I have compatible or enhanced. I switched from enhanced to compatible mode and it installed a driver. Do you think I can delete the old classpnp.sys and switch back to enhanced mode and have the driver reinstalled properly?

EDIT- I switched modes and still gets the same BSOD booting into safe mode. Only other thing I can think of is to see if any of the Windows Services are related to the issue.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I usually alot enough space for a couple system restore points. I don't use it much either, but do leave it running on the system drive for such events as you are having.

You might find some registry values to modify/delete from restore console. Drivers are easy enough to manipulate via the registry if you can find what you would have to modify to get it removed or whatever. You need the registry values to remove or modify if you can find them. That is where I would start myself.

Sul.

8. whitedragon551

Restore console?

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

system repair console maybe it is called? I don't use it often, but when things won't boot you can do a system repair I think, with one option being a console. You login as admin, then you can run regedit.exe and modify what you need, or do it from command line.

Sul.

10. whitedragon551

Already tried repair mode. No dice. Did a backup from 2 weeks ago and no dice.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The backup from 2 weeks ago was working fine? This is an image? Why would an image (if it is and was good) also have the same issue? IMO this leaves some hardware problem as the culprit.

Sul.

12. whitedragon551

It was a full HD backup created with Paragon Pro in my sig. After I tried the old image I reimaged back to my current state and now I lost 4Gbs on my HD. Ive gone through the Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, %appdata% folders, etc and I cant figure out why.

Not sure if the image was good. I havent used Safe Mode in months.

Im going to take the laptop apart and clean the HD connectors since that seems to be the general consensus. If that doesnt work Ill run Hirens Boot CD HD test tools on it.l

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  13. whitedragon551

Also tried with DEP off and no dice.

14. whitedragon551

Got it figured out and repaired.

It wasnt actually the Classpnp.sys causing the issue. It was the driver afterwards causing the issue. It was related to a PCMCIA.sys driver which I believe is the driver for ACPI functions and HD functions. All I had to do was rename PCMCIA.sys to PCMCIA.sys.bak and it allowed boot into safe mode flawlessly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.