Can't backup with Paragon or ShadowProtect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by optigrab, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi all. This post is going to be frustratingly short on details for now - sorry in advance. :oops: Trialing ShadowProtect and Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 SE (free). I have only installed Paragon.

I've attempted to create a backup with both; Using ShadowProtect from the bootable full evaluation disc, and using Paragon from within Windows XP SP2. The hardware is a Thinkpad t60p with a hidden IBM/Lenovo recovery partition, but otherwise very ordinary.

PARAGON: Running through the backup wizard in Paragon is no problem. When I initiate the backup process, the animated gears stop after about 30-45 seconds, and it locks up the laptop completely in about a minute. A forced power-down reboot is necessary. I checked, and there aren't even any log files created at that point.

SHADOWPROTECT: Running from the recovery environment, the backup wizard works fine. When I initiate the backup process, it almost immediately tells me the backup of C: has failed (a big red 'X' appears too), but it proceeds to continue backing up the hidden partition.

I'm assuming :rolleyes: the problem is related to my laptop / configuration, not either of the programs since they're both having the same difficulty. I've tried a few follow-up attempts with variations, albeit mostly with Paragon; I've tried to save the backup to a wireless networked shared drive, and I've also tried only backing up C:. No joy.

Any ideas, my friends? I can post screenshots or pictures later if necessary. The truth is I will stick with the one that works for me, and if they both work, I will be sorely tempted to purchase SP because I value the reported speed advantage.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

A dialog box to reboot the system is supposed to pop up at that point.
    Try to disable 'hot processing' in settings.

reboot.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  3. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

It would help a lot for you to provide the detailed log for the ShadowProtect backup failure. After you run the failed backup, click on the Task Manager tab in ShadowProtect and click on the Show Details link for the job. This will show a new tab with the detailed log for your backup job. Right-click on the log list and select "Select All" in the context manu, then right-click again and select "Copy all" in the context menu. Next, from the Tools menu choose Text Editor and paste the copied log lines into the text editor and then save the file to your disk. Then reboot your normal Windows OS and post the log results here.

4. optigrab

Wilbertnl, I think you are referring to the RESTORE process...
    Will do!
    Will do!

Thanks! To be continued...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. optigrab

Thank again to everyone who posted. Here's the update
    Apoligies Wilbertnl, you are correct. disabling 'hot processing' does cause a popup to prompt a reboot into the recovery environment for backing up.

PARAGON: I disabled 'hot processing' and successfully backed up from the preboot environment. Backup was saved to an external HDD over USB. But if I wanted to do that everytime I back up, I'd use Norton Ghost 2003. Trying again to backup from within Windows - again everything freezes. So I took a wild guess - I disabled F-Secure AV 2007. With F-Secure disabled, Paragon can backup using 'hot processing' from within Windows as intended! So I guess it's time to finally uninstall F-Secure and install KIS. Funny thing is that F-Secure 'System Control' doesn't appear to be blocking any Paragon processes. Maybe it is simply a conflict.

ShadowProtect: Worked fine on my 2nd attempt, backing up from the evaluation disc to USB HDD. Amazingly fast! Took about half the time as Paragon. I don't know why it failed the first time. The only difference I can recall was on my 1st attempt, the backup destination was the C: drive. Perhaps it's not a good idea to backup an entire HDD and write the backup file to the same HDD under these conditions?

I will play around further... after I switch A/V's.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Actually, I was thinking about restoring. When you backup, Paragon should go ahead without interruption.
    When you upgrade to the Personal Edition, you have the option of using Microsoft VSS in hotprocessing. Perhaps that works better with your security software.

Does Shadow Protect also come with a harddisk manager, like your Paragon Special Edition?

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Before you ditch F-Secure. Whenever I image from within windows or do FDISR copy/updates I always disable my AV, in this case KAV. Otherwise the AV is trying to scan every file and this will have a negative impact. So if you like F-Secure, just disable the AV portion and try it that way.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.