can't back-up to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HudsonSpeeder, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HudsonSpeeder

HudsonSpeeder Registered Member

When I try to create an image to DVD it won't allow it. It just says insert CD media. I am using a Sony DRU800A. Is there a wa y to create images onto DVD media ? I have tried both DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Thanks

Hudson

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Huston,

As it says in the manual, you must format DVD disks for packet writing before you can use them with TI. Your burner software should have this. For Nero, the formatting utility is InCD; for Roxio, it is Drag-to Disc; and for Sonic, it is DLA.

You can only format DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks except for Roxio which can also format DVD+R disk.

3. Iniduoh

Iniduoh Guest

Well, if that's the case, then True Image is absolutely worthless to me.

I bought it because it said it could back up to DVDs. Nothing was said about formatting. My secondary HD requires about 32 DVDs to back it up, and I'm NOT going to use RWs, (nor am I going to buy Roxio).

I'm going to uninstall True Image permanently. I'm really sorry I bought this piece of crap.

4. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I hope you don't live to regret that decision.
    John

5. herojig

herojig Registered Member

what's really interesting when i think about it, is that backing up to DVD may not be a good idea at all. I do a far amount of DVD burning on projects, and to think of sitting there burning 32 disks just to do a stupid backup, when instead i can just schedule backups to run overnight to a 250gig external, is just nuts. :D

I wonder what Iniduoh was so upset about? Does it say that on the box with a little * "see manual" o_O I can almost see the marketing dudes sitting there thinking, hey, this would be a selling point, just don't mention the formatting thing...and for god's sake, never mention packet-writing." :blink:
    jigs

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

I'm sitting here trying to calculate the odds of one in 32 DVD's failing and rendering the entire image useless. It doesn't look good. ;)

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's absolutely true. The time sitting in front of the PC popping 32 DVDs in and out every 5-10 minutes for four or five hours is preposterous. For multiple backups, buy two or three external drives and enjoy life.

Well, many of us want native DVD writing and have requested it often, and I think that requiring pre-formatting is skating around the point that TI doesn't natively support DVDs.

If I were planning on spending four or five hours backing up my drive to DVDs, I think I'd be upset at having to spend and additional 32 minutes formatting all those DVDs. :)

9. chdavisjr

chdavisjr Registered Member

Too bad that you didn't read the "fine print" on their web ot their ad... if you go back, you will see an asterisk next to the cd/dvd-r/dvd+r* and a note that plainly states that you must use 3rd party software such as Nero or Roxio. Your Sony came with software that will allow you to create backups to dvd as jml94903 pointed out. You shouldn't have to purchase another burning software package.

My concern is that all the other image backup software has the burning engine built into it.

Backups to DVD (or lack thereof) is the least of the problems as far as I've seen on this forum - considering almost all users have problems upgrading to 9 from 8. I am pretty much convinced now that I will not purchase ver. 9 but will instead buy Norton Ghost. I see that SAM's sells it for half of what Best Buy or CompUSA sell it for. So my money is NOT supporting a seemingly buggy version 9!

Chalmers

10. chdavisjr

chdavisjr Registered Member

Hello,
    My concern is why is there nothing on your order page stating that there are issues with version 9? I was prepared to upgrade to 9, but from what I've seen so far tonight, almost everyone has had problems upgrading from 8 to 9.

I was just about to order and download the upgrade, then decided maybe I'd best read what others had to say.

I for one am taking my money else where and will buy Norton Ghost
    Too bad.

11. Way2go

Way2go Guest

I have no problem at all with TI 9.

XP home SP2 P4 3200 Mhz 1 gig RAM
    Soltek SL-PT880E-RL / PT880E2-RL (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
    VIA Apollo Pt880-8237

2 SATA drives 2 IDE HD drives 1 USB HD

I find a USB drive the best for backup. Easy to remove and store off site. DVD's too much trouble

Also have the alternative of using BARTPE if the Acronis Linux drivers don't support the external USB case.

12. mustang

mustang Developer

Hello Way2Go,

I see you are using the True Image plugin in BartPE. Have you tried to restore an image that you made with True image 9 from BartPE? If so, did it work?

I have asked Support if the existing plugin will restore images created with version 9. They did not provide an answer. I am not willing to buy version 9 unless this works.

mustang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.