Can't Access One Particular Website

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am trying to access a password protected website that I have accessed many times before. I am now getting a message "invalid user id or password".

This is what I tried:

- I can access the website from a different computer in my home. I log right in.

- On this computer, I also tried firefox (in addition to my default browser, which is IE8 ). I can't get in using firefox either

- I cleared all cookies and temporary files - still can't get in

- If I remotely log into my company computer and establish a remote session, I can't log in from the terminal session - get same error message.

If I go to any other password protected website from this computer, I can log right in - no problem

I am really stumped by this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Len

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

LenC, a commonality between the browsers is your computer's HOSTS file. Have you checked it to see if the URL in question is there?

In my XP (I believe Vista's location is the same but not sure) the files resides in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and you need to open it with Notepad to view it.

That's all I can think of; perhaps others will pipe in soon.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

It may relate to negative cache entries?
    Technet

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

JRViejo -

I messed up - sorry about that. I was using an out-of-date password. My son was using the correct password on the other computer and was (naturally) getting right into the website.

So thank you for your response.

BTW, I did take a look at the hosts file. It has a last modified date of 8/2004, which is way before purchase date of this computer - 8/2006. The file has only one non-comment line in it:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Is that what you would have expected to be there?

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

LenC, you're welcome! Glad to hear that it was an outdated password.

Not knowing if you had installed a program similar to Spybot Search & Destroy, which blocks sites based on Hosts file entries, the fact that you found only one entry means nothing was ever written there. A little background reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.