Canonical Launches Free Ubuntu Pro Subscriptions for Everyone

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by guest, Oct 5, 2022.

1. guest

guest Guest

By Marius Nestor - October 5, 2022
    Canonical: Canonical launches free personal Ubuntu Pro subscriptions for up to five machines

2. guest

guest Guest

Ubuntu Pro is now available: here is what you need to know
    By Martin Brinkmann - January 31, 2023
    Canonical: Ubuntu Pro enters general availability

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

nvm
    10char

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Last March, I enabled Ubuntu Pro on my Kubuntu 22.04 systems, to take advantage of Expanded Security Maintenance (ESM).
    I disabled the Ubuntu Pro livepatch client service, as I don't run a server and I don't think I need livepatch.
    I checked the Ubuntu Pro status, now with livepatch client service disabled: sudo pro status

Since enabling Ubuntu Pro, I've seen a number of ESM updates: for ImageMagick (dependency of Shutter), for FFmpeg, libexo (dependency of Xfce4-screenshooter), and also the 20 June 2023 USN-6180-1 fixes for VLC media player security issues.

It's good to see those patches, but I think it's rather worrisome that even on Kubuntu 22.04 LTS one needs to have Ubuntu Pro enabled to get ESM patches for the mentioned applications and packages.
    Although it's not a surprise that with LTS not everything is patched, that was discussed in the 2016 Wilders thread Ubuntu LTS: many vulnerabilities despite long-term support.
    I'm happy that with enabling Ubuntu Pro, taking advantage of ESM, at least some additional patches are available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.