Cannot use Acronis Secure Zone - Size problem.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jon1, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon1

jon1 Registered Member

I have an ASZ with 170 GB in size.
    After taking a full backup I still have 51 GB left for incremental backup.
    But instead of taking an incremental it will take a full backup.

I am a little disappointed because I thought the whole meaning was to use the Acroniz Secure Zone with the Boot manager from CD.
    Instead it looks I have to delete the ACZ and to make a backup archive with the same size and not say how much space I will use there.

I do not understand why I cannot tell the ACZ to set the number of backups without space and to be able to delete what I like to delete.

Have I misunderstood something here?
    Can I still use the Bootable Rescue CD?

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The Bootable Rescue CD is my preferred method for running restores. I always create backup images while still in Windows.
    The use of a secure zone is optional. I use one all the time but it is important to understand its features.
    It does not allow any user control over archive management. It operates on a strict FIFO basis.
    For FIFO to kick in it is necessary to have sufficient space for it to work and not to completely fill it up with incremental or differential backups.
    My own rule of thumb is to have a SZ big enough to take at least 3 times the used volume of the drive that is being imaged. Acronis have recommended one and a half times the size of one image. IMHO this is too small and leaves no room for growth and I deduce that your SZ falls just below this size. In fact my zone is on an internal slave drive and is big enough to store 10 full images.

You have not said which version and build of TI that you are using nor where your SZ is located. This detail is necessary to give you a more comprehensive answers.

Xpilot

3. jon1

jon1 Registered Member

Dear Xpilot.
    Thank's for the answer.
    I am using True Image Home version 10.0 build 4942.
    My partition C is on DISK1 with 130 GB in size.
    My SZ is on DISK2 with 170 GB in size.

If I understand you correctly, then I should delete the SZ and use TIB files instead. And I can still use Bootable Rescue CD?

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Yes the bootable rescue CD works with or without the SZ.
    If you want to manage your archives manually by all means delete the SZ. In version 10 if you want to automate your backups to a degree you could have a look at the new Backup Locations facility.

Xpilot

5. jon1

jon1 Registered Member

Thanks Xpilot.
    Very good help.
    I will do as you have told me.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jon1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can find the detailed information on how to use Acronis Backup Locations in chapter 7 "Backup location management" of the respective User's Guide. You may also find this post useful.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. jon1

jon1 Registered Member

Thanks Marat.
    Good help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.