Cannot Update cannot replace current file

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by werne, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. werne

werne Registered Member

I submitted a Technical Support Request several days ago but have received no reply so maybe you can help me in this formum.

2. I have the server on choose automatically (but have also tried www.nod32.com and www.esetsoft.com with the same result) and do manage to download the files. That isn't the problem. The problem is that after downloading the files I get the following email message (I choose email because I couldn't do anything with the Messenger windows interrupting me all the time):

"Subject: NOD32: Error
    12/29/2003 15:36:22 - During execution of Update on the computer [my computer name], the following warning occurred: Error occurred while updating program modules (Cannot replace the current file.)"

I have installed and uninstalled numerous times with the same result. Choosing different servers does no good as the files are downloaded. I also uninstalled the program from my computer and installed it on my wife's computer. It worked perfectly and updated okay. We are on the same firewall router so that rules that out. She has an AMD processor I have an Intel one. I uninstalled my software firewall and all anti spy type software. - same result. The change in response occurred after I rebuilt my computer. The other differences from my wife's computer is that my C: drive is an Intel SATA RAID 0 one. I have tried installing to different partitions and drives in my computer. Once I tried installing to a different drive that was on a regular IDE controller (the other two drives are SATA drives in RAID 0 setup). At first at least the messages were different in that it said it couldn't find the update file then it did find them and it gave me the same message that I listed above. There is nothing else different about the drive that I can figure out. Hopefully, you've encountered something similar before. Also my XP SP1 configuration has all the latest updates from Microsoft. I have tried installing with the original file from Eset in Jul and the latest one on their server (v6.09) with same results. The files are downloaded but those files cannot update the program files for some reason. If I don't delete the files in the update subdirectory it downloads the files and then gives me the error and if I don't, it accepts the fact that the files are already downloaded and then gives me the error immediately. I just can't figure out what is different about my system to cause this to happen.

Thanks

3. The contents of the NOD32 System Tools Information portion is:

NOD32 Antivirus System information
    Virus signature database version: 1.498 (20030901)
    Dated: Monday, September 01, 2003
    Virus signature database build: 3887

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.003 (20030805)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1032
    Archive support module version: 1.003 (20030903)
    Archive support module build version: 1056

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Base
    Version: 2.000.6
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2800
    RAM: 1023 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2992 MHz)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try adding this server into the list of servers http://temp.eset.com/nod_upd/

However, KEEP you server selection as "Choose Automatically".

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. werne

werne Registered Member

Did as you suggested and added the server (http://temp.eset.com/nod_upd/) keeping select server automatically. It started downloading the new file 2.00.9 but at the end got the same message that it couldn't replace the current file. Thanks for the suggestion. Will keep trying.

4. Blackspear

Try uninstalling Nod, then go to program files and remove the ESET folder, only after this has happened, reinstall Nod.

Hope this helps...

5. werne

werne Registered Member

Followed directions exactly with the same results. Email error message as follows: "12/29/2003 22:03:02 - During execution of Update on the computer [name of computer], the following warning occured: Error occured while updating program modules (Cannot replace the current file.)". Thanks

6. Blackspear

Sorry, that's as far as I can go, you'll have to wait for an Eset Mod to come along.

What I suggested has always worked in the past o_O

They will work out what's going on, look out for Marcos or Jan when they are online...

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,

this problem may occur if some of the NOD32 files are read-only and thus cannot be replaced with their newer version. Please check the attributes of all NOD32 files and clear the read-only attribute, if set.
    Another reason may be that the eset directory is available through network shares and the files within are locked.

Please email us at support@nod32.com as we actually responded to such inquiries and the problem might be somewhere else.

8. werne

werne Registered Member

Have sent an email to support@nod32.com. In ref. to the previous message, I did check the attributes of all the files in the subdirectory and none are read only. No directory or subdirectory on that particular partition is shared. Thanks

9. werne

werne Registered Member

Hooray!!! Mark from Eset support suggested a solution. He figured there might be a problem with my temp/tmp directories and how they were defined. He was right. I have my pagefile and temp/tmp directories on P: drive. But on one of the variables (tmp) I had mistakenly put an E: instead of a P:. E: exists but not the temp/tmp directory that I was trying to define. As soon as I substituted P: for E:, Nod32 updated normally. Thanks everybody for all your suggestions and help.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Karma cookie well deserved for Mark/Marcos :)

regards.

paul

11. Blackspear

Now I see why my suggestion didn't work, you are a tweaker ;)

The only tweaking my clients ever have done is password protect Nod, forget they have done it, and try to blame us :rolleyes: We tell them to try as many passwords as they can remember, and failing that we then use a password breaker provided by Nod :D

Happy tweaking :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.