Cannot uninstall

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Milesch, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milesch

Milesch Registered Member

Expired NOD32, 3.0.669.0 on WinXP cannot be uninstalled. Have tried everything I could think of including:
    1) 2 emails to tech support haven't had reply in 6 days.
    2) Uninstall with Eset Uninstall & control panel add/remove - both claim another prgm has access to it & can't uninstall. Rebooted and disabled, no change.
    3) Also receive window another app has exclusive access to C:/docs & set/all users/app data/eset/esetnod32antivirus/charon/cache.nd8. Attempted to delete that file, could not.
    4) Services: Stopped eset svc, and it restarted on reboot. Couldn't be stopped. Now NOD32 reads antivirus protection disabled. Malfunctioning - and cannot be enabled. And eset icon in task bar is red.
    5) Tried to reinstall older version, needs current version.
    6) Tried Repair - network error, same path as before except Installer/eav_NT32_env.msi.
    7) Prgrm reads "can't enable real time protection-malfunctioning." Prgrm needs to be reinstalled.
    :cool: Installed Version 4 trial. Took half an hour to get it! (something wrong with website) Run it and it still shows same, out of date.
    9) Again attempt uninstall-repair: insufficient privileges to modify prgrm files/esetnod32antivirus/msvcp80.dll & ppeset.dll.
    10) Remove in control panel: can't delete key software/eset/esetsecurity/cv/plugins/01000103/profiles/ my profile. Another app has exclusive acces to C/apps&data/esetnod32antivirus/logs/virlog.dat. Tried from eset uninsetal, same.
    11) Attempt delete eset from program files - can't delete callmsi.exe- access denied.
    12) Attempt delete from Start menu - only valid for products currently installed (?)
    13) Note that it has placed a row in Thunderbird near the top which won't go away, and can't modify.
    14) Went back to a prior image of C drive for 3/13/09. Still cannot uninstall. Again msg another app is using .../logs/virlog.dat. Same if attempt change or eset uninstall.
    15) Win safe mode - win installer can't be accessed in safe mode.

Is there any info on eset's web pages that provide more info or perhaps an uninstall program (that's what Symantic had several years ago when I switched to NOD32 and still had to jump through hoops -- talk about shades of the past!)

Will wait for a reply here before deleting eset from the registry. Thanks for any assistance.
    Miles

2. philby

philby Registered Member

These instructions are usually provided in these situations, I think.

Or you could try the Windows uninstaller here.

Failing these, maybe Revo's worth a shot?

Hope this helps

philby

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  3. Milesch

Thanks for your reply. Neglected to mention that I did try Win Uninstaller to no avail. Now I'll 1st try the eradication technique offered on Eset's page that you linked to.

4. Milesch

Eset's page went off fairly well:
    1) KHCU\soft\eset wasn't found
    2) c:\prgm files\eset - can't completely delete, ekrn.exe and it's parent folders remain, including Eset. Rebooted, no change.. Also tried add/remove and eset remains, and it can be removed -- network error while reading. c:\windows\insetaller\eav_h32.enu.msi. Same for repair.
    3) Realize that page is if one intends to re-install, not to delete all. Also found & deleted C:\docs & settings\
    local settings\app data\eset
    %user%\local settings\app data\eset
    all users\start menu\programs\eset\

Then searched the reg & deleted 256 instances of eset, and know I missed a half a dozen. This was quite tedious since searching brings up hundreds of settings containing "eset", such as removesetting.

The saving grace being that after that, I could delete Eset from Prgm Files.

Perhaps these notes will be of some assistance for others in the future.

5. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237452
    philby, thanks for the revo tip!!
    totally blew it out of the water and all rements are gone!! thank you!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.