Cannot Undelete Partition

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by AndaD, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndaD

AndaD Registered Member

Hi,

I'm using the Partition Manager boot disc to attempt to recover an accidentally deleted partition. The software recognizes the lost partition and identifies it as 'recoverable', but when I actually try to recover it, I get the message: 'Can't undelete primary partition inside extended partition.'

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks, A.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. AndaD

AndaD Registered Member

Thanks. But not sure if that thread helps. It's a related problem that shares some details, but there doesn't seem to be a solution.

I examined the drive again using a utility called partedmagic. The deleted primary Win8 partition in question - which windows deleted while I was trying to install Windows XP for multi boot with Windows 7 and 8 - does seem to have been placed as an unallocated 100GB section of the drive (along with the 20GB parition I was trying to install XP into) *inside* an extended 120GB (approx) partition which was created during the WinXP install. Perhaps someone knows a way to move the unallocated section back out of the extended partition so that Paragon can recover it as my original primary partition??

Long shot, I know, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, A.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. AndaD

AndaD Registered Member

Okay, easy solution.

I just deleted the 20GB partition that was also inside the extended partition. That allowed me to delete the extended partition itself. Then Paragon found the original 20GB and 100GB partitions and could restore both!

Simples!

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thanks for posting the solution

6. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Just to clarify that error simply is a result of the un-delete partition wizard seeing a partition where one already exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.