Cannot restore with HDM 14 Professional

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Boilerfan86, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Boilerfan86

Boilerfan86 Registered Member

Hi all,

I've logged an issue with support, but hopefully this is an easy answer; I figure I have to be doing something wrong. I have the following product, purchased yesterday (I figured the demo was not letting me restore, so I bought it anyway):

Paragon Hard Disk Manager™, version 10.1.21.136 (15.11.13 ) Professional

I am running Windows 8.1 in a domain (DC is a Windows 2012 R2 Essentials OS) on a Dell XPS 8700 (i7, 16GB, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, and a 3TB backup drive).

To test out Paragon - after using Ghost for MANY years, I needed to switch and Paragon looked like the best solution out there - I performed the following:

Full Disk Backup of Hard Disk 0
    Single File Backup of my Outlook PST file

The backups were successful, and I can see the archive files in the backup location and they look valid from a size perspective.

On restore, for either case, I can select files from the backups and get to the point where I select the destination (at this point, choosing to restore them to a specific folder (so I don't overwrite my original files), but when I click "Next" after selecting the destination folder, absolutely nothing happens. I see the "Next" button is being depressed, the icon shows the button press, but the restore does not start. Has anyone observed this behavior or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave.

2. Boilerfan86

Re: Cannot restore with HDM 14 Professional

I still have the issue described in my earlier post, but I am able to use Volume Explorer to select my backup image of the entire drive and export the files to a folder on my drive, which will work in a pinch. I am also in the process of creating a VMware virtual drive from the same image. So the issue I'm seeing is with the "Restore" under the "Backup & Restore" tab.

3. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

are you attempting to restore at the file level?

4. Boilerfan86

Hi Paragon_Matt,

Yes, a simple file restore, using the Restore Wizard and selecting either the File Level Archive, in the case of backing up a single file, or the drive image archive I created. They both behave the same, I can drill down to the file I want to restore, but when I click the "Next" button, nothing happens. I even installed the 32-bit version on another system here which is an older Windows 7 box, and it exhibits the same behavior. That's why I gotta figure I'm doing something wrong, but after going over the documentation for the nth time, I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers,
    Dave.

5. obxguy

obxguy Registered Member

Dave/Matt -

I am having the same problem with HDM14 Pro on a win7x64 machine. I have tried with a standalone backup and a backup made while windows was running to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. I have opened a support ticket on the problem. Let's hope they find the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to HDM12 since being unable to restore defeats the purpose of a backup!

Mike

6. Boilerfan86

Hi Mike,

I was notified that this was a bug and that it would be fixed in the next release, but no time frame on when that might be was available. RSN (Real Soon Now), I'm guessing.

I can restore files from an image backup using Volume Explorer, drilling down to the .PBF file and further drilling to the files/folders I want to restore and right clicking, then selecting "Export". For now that works fine, but I'm waiting for the update.

On an unrelated note, I was able to make a backup of my old computer and virtualize it so I can run it in VMWare on my new system. A very useful feature!

Cheers,
    Dave.

7. gkephart

gkephart Registered Member

I've got the exact same problem here. Not encouraging at all, but I too have logged an issue with support several days ago. They'd better fix this fast, otherwise I'm done with Paragon!

8. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I assume you have used the 'Restore Archive' option. Apparently there is something wrong with this module in HDM 14 version 10.1.21.136.

Do not despair, you have more tools in the box.

Try the 'Archives' tab. Select 'Show partitions' in the combo box. You have now two options:

A Restore File from Archive
    The File Transfer Wizard needs some time to initialize and you have several screens to work through.

B Mount Archive
    This is the option I prefer. After mounting you can use Explorer or an other file browser of your choice to copy the file(s) you want to the destination you want.

Instead of using the toolbar, you can right-click on the partition you want and select your option from the context menu.

Attached Files:

9. Muttley

Muttley Registered Member

This issue is fixed in HDM 14 Pro 10.1.21.471. :D

What concerns me is that no testing was done on restore functionality before the product was released. I've stuck with Paragon for years, but due to quality issues I'm considering moving. :'(

10. sesame

sesame Registered Member

Hi All, I've got same problem with the software just freezing (HDM 14 Pro x64 10.1.21.471 ) and logged a support call several days ago but no answer as yet?
    I've started to look around for alternative software but need to recover some files via Paragon in any case and just hope they come back with a fix? ....... !@#$%^ frustrating, just NOT happy?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.