Cannot restore image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by security34, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. security34

security34 Registered Member

Hello,

I cannot restore an image of my C partition using TI 10. Being a former Ghost DOS user, I frankly don't understand how TI can restore an operating system partition while it is in use. The partition is 29 GB with about 3 GB of files.

The only thing I can thing of is that there is an option to adjust free space during the restore. Should I do that? Im using xp professional.

The tib file is 3.5 gigs and on another partition on the same physical hard drive. I also have another physical hard drive in the computer.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“I frankly don't understand how TI can restore an operating system partition while it is in use”
    It can’t – you can set up the restore and execute the task, but then there’s a reboot involved. It should wipe the 29GB and then restore the 3GB of data.

3. security34

The Acronis loader started on the reboot but then it when into the normal windows startup. Nothing was read or transferred from the old image.

4. GTSmith

GTSmith Registered Member

I have been using TI11 for a month and have done several image save and restores on a new laptop successfully until 2 days ago when a restore from an external hard disk failed with exact the same features as you described. I copied the image from the external HD to a non OS partition on my laptop and TI11 then successfully restored the OS partition. I don't understand why / how that could happen but it might be worth a try.

5. TheWeaz

It sounds like the OP’s image file is on an internal drive (same as the OS, different partition).
    security34, if you launch TI from within Windows, check the log file to see if there are any clues there.

6. security34

Could you please tell me how to find the log file?

Thanks

7. TheWeaz

Under Tools, Show Log.

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It sounds like there may be a problem with the Linux environment that is actually used to restore the boot sector.

Try booting from the TI Recovery CD and see if you can do the restore from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.