Cannot restore fromd USB External drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Flaubert, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaubert

Flaubert Registered Member

Yesterday I wanted to restore the image of the full backup (not incremental) of my HD that was stored on an external USB HD (Maxtor 120G).
    This external hd is recognized by my XP box at all times and the imade save can be seen on any XP machine.
    When I wanted to restore from Windows ATI asked me to either close all open files or reboot.
    I chose reboot, and after clicking through everything it ONLY gave me the choice to select my source from within the local computer and its 2 CD and cDVD drives and "Computers near me". I was not able to select my external HD as it was not given to me as a choice.
    Have I done anything wrong?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Make sure you have the latest build of TI. For TI 9 Home it is 3677.

When TI reboots or is started with the Rescue CD it actually is operating in a Linux environment. It sometimes has poor or non-existent drivers for some devices which causes problems like the one you have. It is nothing you did unless your USB drive is there and you aren't reading the screen properly.:D

You can try the method outlined in II here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

However, you will have to bootup with the rescue CD in order to issue the command. Be careful with the spelling, the two similar looking words are different!

If you haven't created the rescue CD you can do it from the TI main screen - "Create bootable rescue media". It is important that you create this CD and ensure you can indeed validate and recover an archive with it since this is what you have to use should your HD ever fail.

3. Flaubert

Flaubert Registered Member

I am runnin ATI 8.0 build 937.
    The recovery cd does not give me the option to choose anything.
    It boot sdirectly into the Acronis graphical mode.

How can I use that image I have on an external drive?

PS: If I try to restore the image from within windows XP Acronis sees the drive but cannot process because there are too many open files in use.
    It asks me to reboot.

Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.