Cannot resize partition on new notebook pc

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by kiekar, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiekar

kiekar Registered Member

Hello,

I just recently purchased a new Compaq Presario A900 notebook with Vista Premium OS installed. From the factory there is two partitions, C:\ with 189 gigs available and D:\ using 12 gigs for disk recovery.

What I first tried to do was use the Vista disk management tools to shrink drive C:\. The problem I had was it would not allow me to shrink more than 10gigs.

After installing Acronis Director Suite 10, I manually selected the C: drive and resized it from 189 to 130 which required a reboot to resize the drive.

After the reboot I received an Error: Unable to write disk 1 sector 33653199 (Retry, Ignore, ignore All).

What I also did was defrag drive C: But still received the error.

Any help would be muCh appreciated.

Karl

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Karl:

Operations that will affect the Vista System partition should not be done from within Vista. To make a change to your C: partition, shut down Vista and boot your PC from the recovery disk version of Disk Director. Make your changes from the recovery version of the program.

If you have not yet created a recovery disk, run the Bootable Media Builder application which is found on the Tools menu of Disk Director. Include both full and safe-mode versions of the program on the CD or USB flash drive. If the full-mode (Linux-based) version will not work with your hardware then try the safe-mode (DOS-based) version.

Since you got an error message about being unable to write to a particular sector, it would be advisable to run chkdsk /f on your disk before resizing the C: partition to be sure that you don't have any errors on the disk, although the error message may have been due to Vista blocking access to portions of the disk. Vista will have to reboot to complete the disk check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.